dive log Windows software for Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgranto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have owned a Galileo Sol and have been using SmartTRACK since day 1, logging all my dives. I have it working on Windows 10 (build 21H1) and my original IR dongle - no problems. I am worried about future compatibility.

I noticed SmartTRACK is no longer under development, and looked at its replacement, LogTRACK. LogTRACK sorta sucks - the GUI is jacked up on my laptop, and it uses Java (which means it includes all the security issues of Java, and I doubt Scuba Pro will update LogTRACK with each Java release). Plus, I am a bit disappointed that it is 32bit.

All this means I am looking for a good replacement for SmartTRACK. I want to be able to import my SmartTRACK dives, I will run it on the newest version of Windows, and I do not mind spending money for a good product. I need the software to support my Galileo Sol and IR. I need the software to support all the data logged by my computer, like heartbeat and workload. I would prefer something that does not use Java.

Google has pointed me to Dive Log 6 and Subsurface, but I am open to pretty much anything. I know both of these products support my computer and can import my logs (via a perl script for Subsurface).

I just want to use "the best." So, what's considered best? Should I just stick with SmartTRACK until I am screwed some day in the future? Thanks!

If this converter was a thing when I struggled to get out of Smart Trak, I'd likely be a Subsurface user. It will get your log into real dive software. I don't know if it supports the IR dongle, I switched to Shearwater years ago and BT is worlds ahead.
https://thetheoreticaldiver.org/rch-cgi-bin/smtk2ssrf.pl

I just want to use "the best." So, what's considered best? Should I just stick with SmartTRACK until I am screwed some day in the future? Thanks!
Why not try both? I know Subsurface is open source, so free to use and modify. I'll bet Dive Log 6 has a trial period. Beinga personal choice, only you can decide what's "best".

I went with Dive Log 6 when I switched from the Sol to the G2 because LogTrak sucks as you say. Dive Log 6 I'm pretty sure allows import from SmartTrack. Dive Log 6 has a good print function so you can keep a small binder with a paper record of your dives.

Why not try both? I know Subsurface is open source, so free to use and modify. I'll bet Dive Log 6 has a trial period. Beinga personal choice, only you can decide what's "best".

I agree, just try both to see what fits your needs best. You can test Diving Log 6.0 as long as you want. Up to 10 dives there are no limitations, so for testing just import the first 9 dives and try everything. If you're happy you can all other dives to see if everything imports nicely. Let me know if you have any questions. I get sometimes feature requests of things that are already there, so I can point you to the right location.

I haven't used Diving Log, so I can't say what is "better".

But, Subsurface is awesome! It is FREE and runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. With free Cloud storage. And free phone apps for iOS and Android.

I have every dive I've ever done loaded into Subsurface - with at least 7 different source computers, from at least 4 different brands.

And it has a built-in dive planner that is awesome, too. I used to use Multi-Deco (which I paid for). Now I use Subsurface and occasionally use M-D or some other app to check my results from Subsurface (never found a discrepancy yet). When I teach dive planning in tech classes, I have my students use Subsurface.

When I dive from a boat, on the way back in, I will fire up Subsurface-mobile on my phone and sync my log from my dive computer to my phone. Usually, I'll go ahead and edit the dives right then just to put in the names of the dive sites I dived that day, so I don't forget. Then whenever I get around to firing up Subsurface on my desktop computer, the dives are all there - automatically synced through the free Cloud storage.

Back
Top Bottom