Dive Like a Pro: 101 Ways to Improve Your Scuba Skills and Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

Anyone read this one? I came across it whilst hunting around on Amazon for gift ideas. In principle it looks like a good idea, but I am worried it might be a bit dated (1999).

hi,

i ordered one last week also from amazon...hoping to received it by the end of this month, i will post my take on it once i read it. Actually I did'nt notice the year it was 1st published but i hope most of the info on it still relevant today...you can check its review from amazon website might help you...

I would give it 3 out of 5 as a ranking.

Simple tips on how to improve your diving, if your already are a seasoned diver and interact with other divers in a way that you should gain experience and tips from them – then this is not the book for you. But if it’s intended for a fairly new diver, it might be a good book.

I don’t regard Rossier to be an excellent writer, but OK. The book lacks relevant illustrations, but gathers useful information. Easy to read, but not the kind of book you find it hard to put down.

If you want a book to help improve you, maybe a book about accidents can help you to become conscious about potential risks – in which case I would recommend "Dive Down" by Michael R. Ange (ISBN 0-07-144572-2).
Simple, interesting and relevant to most diver.

Safe Diving!
Vrakis

I read it several years ago, wasn't extremely impressed, and didn't keep it.

Whenever giving a self-help book you run the risk of offending. If I'm heavy would you give me a diet book? If you give me this book, are you saying I'm a bad diver?

A couple of dive related books I received as gifts that I enjoyed are:
Down Time, edited by the Kittrells, and
Fireside Diver edited by Bonnie Cardone.

I would give it 3 out of 5 as a ranking.

Simple tips on how to improve your diving, if your already are a seasoned diver and interact with other divers in a way that you should gain experience and tips from them – then this is not the book for you. But if it’s intended for a fairly new diver, it might be a good book.

I don’t regard Rossier to be an excellent writer, but OK. The book lacks relevant illustrations, but gathers useful information. Easy to read, but not the kind of book you find it hard to put down.

If you want a book to help improve you, maybe a book about accidents can help you to become conscious about potential risks – in which case I would recommend "Dive Down" by Michael R. Ange (ISBN 0-07-144572-2).
Simple, interesting and relevant to most diver.

Safe Diving!
Vrakis

100% agree with this comment, try "Diver Down" as mentioned ...

Thanks. I have read Diver Down, and I thought it was excellent. But the gift would be for a younger diver and I was worried about freaking him out (OK, honestly? I was worried about freaking his parents out).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom