dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s7595

Reaction score
was diveing in "blue groto" the other day with my buddy ,and an a man who needed abuddy ,who just happen to be a caver
my light is a uk 4 d-cell ,I thought it was okay untill I seen this guys light
he lite the whole cavern up
his dive rite light is way more money than I want to spend
so my ? is there a light out there close to the performance of his at a less cost
thanks as always

Light Cannon is an excellent torch for th money, one word of advice is that the bulb is HID and is going to set you back about 60 Sterling (guess thats about 100 dollars) i you break it, and they are fairly brittle I've found. Its only a single bulb which is less than ideal. Also it takes the torch about 10 seconds to go from cold to fully bright, which is less than ideal for flicking on and off, the burn time is unreal though.

I have to say I'd been impressed by the UK D8. she's a beast of a torch on land, big and clunky, but once she's in the water she's nice and light. EXCELLENT light from it and its a normal bulb. Standard UK setup with dual bulb which is nice, and the the typical UK reliability. And i guess she's cheaper than the light cannon though i could not be sure.

HID bulbs are cycle limited, not hours of burn time limited. I'm sure there's a better term, but - the worst thing you can do for an HID is turn it on and off. If you turn your HID light on at the beginning of the dive, you'll use far less battery power and keep your batteries fresh longer by leaving it on, not having it cycle.

true about the HID bulbs, but i was just arriving backt to the pier so i switched off my torch and was about to get out when this beautiful fish swam right past me. By the time the Light Cannon had warmed back up the fish was long gone :( Its nice to be able to get light straight off.

s7595:
was diveing in "blue groto" the other day with my buddy ,and an a man who needed abuddy ,who just happen to be a caver
my light is a uk 4 d-cell ,I thought it was okay untill I seen this guys light
he lite the whole cavern up
his dive rite light is way more money than I want to spend
so my ? is there a light out there close to the performance of his at a less cost
thanks as always

Another alternative is a quartz canister. DiveRite and ProWatt both have an excellent one. They are bulkier but what do you expect for 50 watts. They are less expensive than HID but more expensive than handhelds. Not as nice as HID, but just another alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom