Dive Lights question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marciaj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going diving in June in Hatteras, North Carolina. It is wreck diving and they say visibility is bad. I don't own any light yet. Any suggestions?

That is one heck of an EXPENSIVE dive light, although nice.

I think a bit more info is needed. You can get dive lights ranging in price from $30~$2000+. What are you looking for in a dive light?

I have an OMS Vega, and an Intova. Both are 3W and for the $$$ some of the best lights out there. I also have a Sartek 10W HID. That was a bit more expensive, and the bulb just broke ($100) so currently out of commission.

Big Lumes lights are nice, even in the daytime, but not generally necessary for daytime diving. I've been using my 3W lights for night dives, and while not as bright by any means as my HID, they work very well, and are brighter than lights costing a lot more.

The light Perrone listed is a super banger! That is one bright light! Maybe too bright for some conditions. I sometimes dive at night with my light off, and just enjoy the dark!

So help us help you! :D

I just picked a light because there was absolutely no information or guidance given. And I like the Salvo lights a lot. I have a similar one.

call edd at caveadventures.com and talk to him about lights!

he cut me a heck of a deal on a new canister light a few weeks ago!!

brett

Thanks, I am very new to diving (less than 20 dives) so I need all the help I can get. I guess I was hoping someone had been to Hatteras and knew of the conditions. I don't mind spending whatever needed to get a good light, but if there is a great one out there for $100 of course that would make me happy. I read that halogens were very good but LED's have really stepped up to the plate. I am a female so don't want anything that's crazy heavy, but I really love history so I think wreck dives will be right up my alley and want a good light. I hope this helps everyone help me.

That's a little more info. When it comes to dive lights more power is always better. With that said since you are not penetrating the wrecks I think your be fine without going the canister route. During the day if you just swimming around the wreck you don't really need a light but will want one if you start looking in a hole or two. That's looking in not swimming in.

I dove with a UK C8 for years and it served me well but it's not all that small. Some of the smaller lights are very powerful these days. LED is the way to go. Almost indestructible and nice white light. I use a OMS K2 as a backup to my canister light and think it would serve your purposes well. It uses CR123 batterers which offer pro's and con's themselves. I like them but then I have a bunch for other above water light.

Cave Adventures has some good deals on small but powerful dive lights.

Thanks, I looked up the OMS and it has me going down the right path. I definately don't plan on penetrating the wreck (too new - will only have advanced about a week before this dive) but will be curious enough to look into places and want something good for that. Have been trying to get quality gear that will last but that also suits my purposes (no intention of going technical - at least yet :)

If you're looking for a decent light at around the $100 mark you'll probably want to look at a hand held model from UK (underwater kinetics). I have some experience with these lights and they're pretty good value for money.

They have one (I don't know what it costs) with a 10w HID light (IIRC) in a hand held format that might be worth looking at.

Here's a link: http://www.uwkinetics.com/catalog/category/6

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom