Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdvancedAquarist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm not sure if I am putting this in the right place but I will be attempting my first night dive in the spring. Is the Princeton Tec Shockwave II enough to be a good primary light or does anyone have any other suggestions?

At 400 Lumens, it will be fine. Don't forget to have a backup in case this one goes out!

I've made hundreds of night dives with that same light. It has always performed well for me and I've had no issues with it at all! I recommend it highly as an inexpensive main night light.

yeah my backup is a 4 c cell pc lite. But is there any other ones out there at around the same price that are better or should i just stick with the Shockwave? Thanks to everyone in advance

I don't use that light myself, but a dive light does not have to be great for normal night diving. I am sure that is plenty good enough for those needs. There are much, much better lights on the market, but they are much, much more expensive and much, much more than you need for normal night diving. I wouldn't spend any more time worrying about it.

i use that light for night dives, day dives (it can get dark in the NW), and occasionally to check the steaks on the grill at night. it works fantastically. i can't really tell a huge difference between the SW and my buddy's HID.

only word of caution: the LED's will make the meat look like you've way overcooked it, so you pull it too early only discover the meat would "moo" if you put a bandaid on it.

just my .02psi...

ya thatll be fine just remember to have a backup and a tank-glow

That's my light as well (although, I don't have the LED version, which I suspect is even brighter), and it's been on a number of night dives. Never had a single issue with it. Unless you're going deep tech or caving (requiring an HID) I can't see you needing more for recreational night dives.

Make sure you bring along a backup (I use the Intova wide-angle), and I'd suggest a Lazer stick or Glo-toob hitched to your 1st stage -- makes it easier for your buddy to spot you from behind.

Back
Top Bottom