Dive Light: UK C8 Xenon vs Princeton Shockwave II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I lost my light while diving in the Oriskany. I don't do a great deal of night diving but when I do it is generally in clear spring water. These two seem to be about the same. Which is better?

DiveLvr

I lost my light while diving in the Oriskany. I don't do a great deal of night diving but when I do it is generally in clear spring water. These two seem to be about the same. Which is better?
I don't see a lot of difference between the two, and I have owned both.

Since you are replacing your light, anyway, could I make a suggestion? Both of the lights you mention are pistol grip lights, which pretty much tie up your hand (? right) when in use. When not in use, many divers clip them to their BCD, and they dangle and twist.

Have you thought about buying a light that is hand-mounted? It used to be that the only way to do that was a canister light. However, now you can buy something simple like an inepxensive neoprene Goodman Glove (http://northeastscubasupply.com/sto...sories/big-blue-goodman-handle/prod_2464.html), and use it with an inexpensive but bright tubular light like the 4.7 W Intova LED (narrow beam version), which is much smaller, much lighter, and just as functional. Although it is often sold as a back-up light, it works quite well as a mid-range primary. If you want to spend serious money for a light (given your description, I doubt that is the case) you can always go with something like a Light in Motion, or Big Blue light.

Nothing wrong with the two lights you mentioned. But, having used them for a number of years, I realized after switching what an inconvenience they were, and now use only hand-mounted lights.

Just a thought.

Colliam7, gives some good food for thought to munch on. Both lights you are considering are good lights made by good mfg. But there might be some other options to consider. For a knock around light I use the UK SL4 cause it is small and I can tuck it way like my back up light. But my primary is a can light and I like the Goodman handle. Which is great cause I like having my hand free for shooting photos. Light and Motion has a cool hand mounted light:

LIGHT & MOTION || SOLA 500 DIVE

Thanks guys. In regards to the hand mounted, what do you think about one of the Intova or Dorcy lights with the light sock (I take it the "sock" is actually the "straping" that holds the light to my hand)?

Thanks guys. In regards to the hand mounted, what do you think about one of the Intova or Dorcy lights with the light sock (I take it the "sock" is actually the "straping" that holds the light to my hand)?

The Oxycheq Soft Sock which is what many people are talking about is some sort of fabric that goes around your hand and has a Velcro fastener in your palm. It also has a loop of bungee that goes behind your palm to provide stability. There is a loop of fabric on top for the light.

The shorter the light the better for this system so I think that would be the Dorcy which is also narrower in diameter than the Intova Ultra I believe.

There are ways to make the sock a little more stable with longer lights however.

In regards to the hand mounted, what do you think about one of the Intova or Dorcy lights with the light sock
I can't comment on the Dorcy from personal experience, but I use my Intova 4.7 W LED with the Goodman Glove for hand-mounting. The nice thing about the Intova is that it only weighs about 9 oz, compared to something like the Shockwave which weighs . . . a lot more (most of the seller descriptions of the Shockwave don't even list the weight). Heck, just the 8 C batteries alone weigh more.The Intova is 1.5 inches in diameter and fits snugly into the opening in the glove, and is about 6 inches long. I don't notice that the length is an issue for me, but if the Dorcy is shorter that may be a consideration.
(I take it the "sock" is actually the "straping" that holds the light to my hand)?
Yes.
gcbryan:
The Oxycheq Soft Sock which is what many people are talking about is some sort of fabric that goes around your hand and has a Velcro fastener in your palm.
Actually, I was referring to the neoprene Big Blue Goodman Glove, which I somewhat prefer to the Oxycheq Light Sock. I find the Big Blue glove to be a little more secure, and slightly less expensive (although my Raider light is too big for the Big Blue Glove and I use a Light Sock with it). But, yes, it has two velcro straps that fit around the hand.

Back
Top Bottom