Dive Light Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeadCactus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to get one or two (primary and back-up) dive lights. Got about $150, though I'd rather stay closer to $100. I don't really know anything about choosing a light. Any suggestions? Preferably LED. My bulb lights seem to break rapidly (I probably treat them too roughly.)

That all depends on what type of diving you will be doing and what the conditions are. In order to stay around your budget I will give you a couple of suggestions, but honestly I would consider waiting until your budget allows for a little more room. LIghts are expensive but at night, and undewater, they are alot more than just cool things to have. They are essential equipment.

Primary: Pelican Nemo, Princenton Tec c4 or c8
Back Up: Mini q40, or Princeton Tec Torrent

I own a pelican nemo but compared to the HID and eLED lights out there it's not even in the same ball park. The Mini q40 Screams! its a great back up light and you can find them for around $38.00.

My best suggestion would be to look around for an Underwater Kenitcs Light Cannon. I just bought one for my girlfriend on sale for $170.00. She also uses the q40 as her back up.

What ever primary you end up going with try to look for eLED or LED lights there color and intesity are much better than standard lights, however they do cost more.

In that budget range, for a primary light, I would suggest the Underwater Kinetics C4 eLED. The C4 works great in the low vis conditions up here in the Pacific Northwest and is built to take a beating. You can find it from the on-line retailers for around $75 which gives you a few extra dollars to spend on your back-up light.

EDIT:
I also own a UK light Cannon but find that I use the C4 most of the time. The Cannon gives you a bit more light but is twice as bulky. The other downside about the Light Cannon is that the HID is more fragile than the LED's and you have no clear indication when your batteries are running low (it goes from full on...to dead).

I hope this is allowed? I have a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED 8 cell dive light that was used just once. It's in perfect condition. Email me if interested. Very, very cheap.

Intova wide angle LED would fit the bill as a backup and depending on the diving a decent primary.

For daytime use - looking in holes - the UK SL6 and SL4 have tightly focussed beams and are compact, using C-cells. Someone makes a holster for them as well. They aren't LED, so they're bright :rofl3:

I just bought and used the Princeton Shockwave LED today and it was really nice.

It is around 100$, 12hours burn time on full and 20 on half, 3x3w (my Ikelite doesn't even compare with its 14w bulb)

So, in you price range that is what I would recomend.

I got a chance to try out a Raider I and was very happy with it. I'm thinking of using my budget to buy two of these for the time being and buying a better primary and relagating these two to back up lights when I have the funds. Does this sound like a solid plan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom