Dive Light Preferences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In preparation for my first night dives in a couple weeks, I went to 3 LDS in my area looking for dive light recommendations. To my surprise, they all recommended small lights (two the Princeton Surge and one the Ikelite PC-A).

Now I'm not sure if it was because all 3 know me and how I tend to dive (warm water vacations 2-3 times a year and up to now no night diving) or if it is a change in overall philosophy to the smaller lights. Having small hands, I must say I didn't mind looking at something which seems much easier to grasp, and even hold my camera with if I so choose, but are these sufficient for rec night dives in open salt water?

Love to hear your input in general on the smaller lights, then secondly on these two choices :)

I dive with a canister light made in Australia by Alpha
It uses a 50W HID globe and is as bright as daylight when I switch it on with a 3 hour life in battery per charge.

I would not dive with anything less than a 35W HID globe, anything less just does not have enough grunt to see much.

I carry an Ikelite in my pocket as a backup but frankley it is a piece of rubbish.

Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

I think those are insufficient for night dives. First of all, for a night dive you should have a main light and a backup light. Second, the more light you can get, the better.

I use a UK SL4 as a backup and a UK Sunlight C8 for a primary. The Sunlight provides significantly better illumination at night. I saw the UK Light Cannon (HID) once... it was fanastic. I'd love to get an HID canister light, but those are quite expensive.

The smaller lights make good backups. BTW, IMO, the Surge is an unfortunate design. It's too bulky for a backup, and doesn't have enough power for a main light (8 watts, vs 13.2 for the C8)

I think the size light you need all depends on where you are diving. I use the UK SL4 as a *primary* light for night diving in the carribean (my backup light is a similar size). The visibility is so clear that the SL4 does a great job. There are other dive lights out there that put out more light, but I don't think it's necessary in clear water. More is not better in every case.

Now if I was diving in mucky water, my SL4 light would be insufficient and I'd want one of those light cannons.

But check out the UK line of lights. Most of my friends swear by them and based on the brands I have used (Pelican, Princeton Tek), the UK's are the best.

And don't forget a light to mark your body at night. You can get those glow-in-the-dark thingies or a blinking marker light. Either one can be strapped to your tank valve.

Thx...Doug

I'm not sure about the 'more light the better'. As dgangi says it depends where you are diving. I did a shallow night dive in the Red Sea and there were several other divers in the water with cannisters and it turned into a day dive. In end my buddy and I just turned out torches off and used the light pollution. Several times I have turned of my primary and used my 2ndry light becaues having less light often means you saee more.

That said if you dive in poor viz then a BFO light is a good thing.

Check UK torches. I like mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom