Dive Light Brand Experience - UK, Light & Motion, Aquatec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really appreciate when manufacturers stand behind their products, and go beyond the call of duty with their service, or set their policies aside to create customer goodwill and build a positive brand. And vice versa of course. So here's my quickie on dive lights. My opinion, my experience first hand.

Great companies:
UK
Light & Motion

Ah, my old Light Cannon HID light. Great technology for it's day. Not the most reliable or trouble-free device on the planet, but UK's service is incredible. Never a cost, never an argument, just send it in sir and we'll fix it. It got a new ballast, a new switch, and a couple of other things. Over the course of its life, it went to UK at least three times. I would buy another UK product in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, last weekend, I dropped it in the garage and boom, there goes the $80 bulb. Not worth replacing, but it illuminated many years of diving memories and served me so well.

Ah, my Light & Motion Sola 1200's. Great video lights. With the hand grip, a great dive light. When I first bought them last year, L&M overnighted me a missing part just in time for my dive trip to Utila. When I was having a charging issue with one, they replaced the internal batteries with the newer version and gave me new chargers. You call, they listen, and they have pride in their product. It's a premier brand. I would recommend them to anyone.

Oh boy, Aquatec. I bought their little 3W LED light. Looks cool with it's brushed aluminum chassis, and it's bright as can be as a backup light or a small primary, all for about a hundred bucks list. It's been on maybe 30 dives. A couple of weeks ago it flooded. Not real obvious why. I had read mixed reviews online, but the LDS who sold it to me loves them. So last week, I tried to get service. I called the number and got an answering machine everytime. Finally left a message. They called back and told me to call another number. Another answering machine. It all sounded hokey. But I left a message and got a call back from Jerry. The real story is, these lights are made in Taiwan, the first number I called was the old distributor, the second number is Jerry, who I think owns the company, and they have a new distributor. I told my story. I suggested they stand behind the product like their competitors. He told me he had to make a call and talk with someone. He did so and called me back. Then another round of needing to call someone again. He once again called me back again, at 10:30pm on my cel phone. Odd.

In the second call, he basically said it was out of warranty. I suggested he replace it anyway. Keep in mind, the new distributor probably doesn't want to pay for replacing it. The old distributor is done with the brand. I have a fairly lengthy conversation with Jerry, giving him a little advice from a marketing/brand and customer experience perspective (I'm qualified; I'm a customer, and I'm a sales & marketing executive with 30 years experience). He finally offers to sell me another light at cost: $40. Okay, fair, but I ask him why I would spend $40 on a light that's failed so early on in its life. I say hey Jerry, just send me another one. Stand behind your product and win me back. I've lost faith in the product, but I'm open to giving it another shot. I'll share my experience with my fellow divers about how you stand behind your brand. And guess what, you don't have to pay me $250 an hour as a consultant either. It'll only cost you $40. He said understood, and would get back to me.

Guess what…..never heard from him. Obviously, I'll never buy an Aquatec product again. There are so many great products out there, and we all have a choice. I've had great luck with Atomic and other brands as well in standing behind their products.
Thanks for listening.

You can add Watershot to the list of great companies. When I was looking for a light they went and shot photos of the different beam patterns and e-mailed them to me so I could pick exactly what I wanted.

The lights themselves are phenomenal, bright, compact, bulletproof, and a modular structure allows swapping between narrow-beam dive and wide-beam video heads.

I have become a fan of Bigblue dive lights. Bought one a few years ago at Beneath the Sea. It's been on a lot of dives and never a problem. Very well made. I have now purchased their latest and greatest, the CF900, as well as a pair of their video lights. Highly recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom