Dive Knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceandrifter

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I collect dive knives, mainly SCUBAPRO. Is anyone here aware of any resources (individuals, websites, other forums, etc) that could provide me with information to help me research this field and identify some knives I have. Thanks

1) Leon Lyons diving history museum in Saint Augustine has about 1200 dive knives on display. Visit or write him

2) Also write Sally at the other dive museum

3) Check vintage doublehoseboard - they have most of the old catalogs available on line

4) Post pictures of knives you would like to have identified

sdm

If you go to the download section of VintageDoubleHose.com, you can download most of the Scubapro catalogs from the 60's and many from the 70's. That would be your primary resource for information on Scubapro vintage knifes.

As far as I remember Scubapro only had three dive knifes, plus a couple of dive tools and a fish filleting knife during the 60's and 70's.
- There was the classic Divers Knife which is fairly common and a great all around large knife/ working tool. Great balance for a big heavy knife.
- There was the Stiletto knife which was a nice small knife (it used to be my favorite back in the 70's). It was a practical line cutting tool.
- And then we had "The Knife". The large jungle Bowie style knife with the bone-like handle. It is a great looking knife, but IMHO, very impractical. I could not justify to myself owning one when I was a kid (I worked and a Scubapro dealer), but I now own one and I think it is great. It is not well balanced and still very impractical, but it is great. :)

I own all three of the vintage Scubapro knifes I mentioned (at least a couple of "The Divers Knife"), but I wish I had the two tools that they offered during that time period. Those would be much harder to find since very few of them were sold.

I do own a US Divers hatchet/ hammer that they offered in the 1969 catalog. I used it for car camping for decades... I actually forgot that it was originally a diving tool.

Here are some shots from the web. I could not find an image of the Stiletto Knife.

Scubapro "The Divers Knife"

attachment.php

"The Knife"

$T2eC16R,!zoE9s5ne2dtBR+CUKJd,!~~60_57.JPG

Here is one of the Scubapro tools.

661416865_o.jpg

Last edited:
That Scubapro dagger knife isn't rare they show up time to time. They run between $25 and $50 most of the time. I have the first scubapro knife it has a big heavy black handle and big blade. Early 60's.

I would agree with Mike, the SCUBA Pro "The Knife" is not rare as compared to other knives of the same era, but conversely "The Knife" is very desirable and very collectable.

There was an exact copy of "The Knife" made completely of stainless, in SoCal by a fellow named Wolfe. At one time they were rather common but haven't seen one for many moons

Rare dive knives would probably be the Randal, the Buck "Nemo" and possibly the highly engraved Voit 25th anniversary edition. I have never seen them appear on E bay, but I suspect they have from time to time.

SDM

In terms of rarity, let's not forget the Puma Frogman.

Thanks for the input everyone. The catalogs from vintagedoublehose.com were especially useful..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since we were very helpful and your have a listing of all the SCUBA Pro knives why don't you share with this information the tribe?

List the knives by name, year (s) produced, price and special features...

SDM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since we were very helpful and your have a listing of all the SCUBA Pro knives why don't you share with this information the tribe?

List the knives by name, year (s) produced, price and special features...

SDM

I have a little more work to do and then will post my spreadsheet.

Back
Top Bottom