Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I never said it does not happen but that it is as rare as hens teeth in the larger picture. So then, was this fellow solo diving, trained and equipped as such? Where was his buddy if not? And while entanglement concerns do exist, you should likely know in advance if it is a real concern in the local area. Additional anecdotal examples of this diver and that diver do not change my mind. If actuarial statistics of X dives resulted in Y deaths due to entanglement and again it turns out to be more than some tiny, tiny percentage of 1% then you can win the argument and I will concede.

I have heard of divers getting themselves stuck under a ledge or in a hole while grabbing lobster. Should we always bring along a come along, a jaws of life, a hydraulic scissor jack. I mean, it may have happened, once or twice :wink:.

James
I get your point, and we actually agree in the larger scheme of things about death from entanglement being rare. However, please don't attempt to change the point being discussed. I'll quote your original post to which I replied:
I am going to stay with what I said. Death of a SCUBA divers due to entanglement is not something that "many" would apply to. It is rare. In 54 years of active diving I have never drowned from being entangled while SCUBA diving nor do I know anyone who has or anyone who knows anyone who has.
(bold and italics added for emphasis)

As to your questions, the guy was solo-trained and equipped as such. He died knife-in-hand, with at least half-full tanks.

Well, even if entanglement is rare or infrequent

True, unless you count the sloppy reporting of diver drownings in California, especially before the 1980s. Countless deaths were reported as entangled in kelp. That may have been how the body was found but not the cause. The actual COD was drowning, almost certainly caused by panic.

My most recent dive (this past Sunday morning). Well, back story, so I grew my hair out returning to my hippie beginnings perhaps. I had it tied into a pony tail with a scrunchy thing my wife gave me. During the dive it had become hopelessly entangled. I asked a nice lady to give me some help since the still healing shoulder surgery makes it difficult for me to get my hands back there and I could not get the tangle out! So she fussed with it a bit and then asked for some shears. Nobody on the boat had shears, what! According to Scoobieboard everybody has shears! Three people had BFKs still strapped to their legs. Several others had some sort of line cutter but no shears. So she decided to cut my hair and I said nooooooo!!!!!!!!! Cut the scrunchy! Still looking at the offerings she and I had reservations so I reached my waist belt and pulled out my Tekna knife. And not only did it make quick work of the scrunchy amid oohs and ahs but it also made quick work of her finger. Yeah, it is that sharp. Fortunately no hair cut and only a minor cut to her pinky. But, yes, I was entangled in my hair and my dive knife saved me. Not sure it was life threatening :wink:. But, you know, it is hard growing out hair, not much into giving up any :). And I am going to get me a new pair of shears :) .

James

I skimmed to the end, saw a lot of posts to the extent of "I carry one or two" but not WHY.

Here's my reasons. My knife lives in a sheath in my BCD. I often solo dive, and I have gotten entangled in monofilament line, recently on a wreck in Miami, Florida, in ripping current, I had to cut myself free twice on the same dive. The stuff is nearly invisible. You don't see it until you can't move anymore.

I have one of those combintion knife/scissors. Once I tore a nail when opening my tank valve, didn't realize it until I was in the water and it was annoying how it pulled with the density of the water. So I whipped out my knife and sliced the broken nail right off. Made for a much more pleasant dive.

I rarely dive with a guide, but if I did, I wouldn't remove my knife and leave it on the boat, there's no point to that. What if I got hung up and the guide was up ahead and didn't see me? What if I was separated from the group and got caught on some line? I don't know about anyone else but I am a self reliant diver even if someone is supposed to be watching out for me.

I carried a small very sharp and very pointy knife on my harness to deal with fishing line and kill fish I speared that were squirming to keep shrek from hearing the dinner bell.

Small "BCD Knife" on my BCD, a trilobite, and occasionally a pair of shears, when I know the wreck is loaded with lines. But always at least the first two. And always a dive light, and DSMB w/reel, just in case.

Always be self-reliant, NEVER depend on someone else to help you out of a mess.

> How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?

If I have brought my own rig do. Because it's already on the rig and dose no good back on the boat or at home. I've yet had a dive that would have been awesome if I just left the knife at home. (1/2 joking) ,

Out of 40 some odd vacation dives one time it came in handy, removing rope form a sea turtle. The dm had a little 3 cm stubby and it would have taken forever to cut the line.

Was out the other day and used the dive knife TWICE. First time, the pin in the buckle of a cheap dive mask fell out. I needed a replacement, found a mesh bag on the beach, cut the draw string off and threaded it through the pin hole and it worked fine as a replacement. Saved a long walk back down the beach to get another mask.
The other was when the pretzel crisps bag wouldn't tear open.. whipped out the stiletto and made quick work of it. Averted spilled pretzels on the beach - a potential catastrophe.

> How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?

If I have brought my own rig do. Because it's already on the rig and dose no good back on the boat or at home. I've yet had a dive that would have been awesome if I just left the knife at home. (1/2 joking) ,

Out of 40 some odd vacation dives one time it came in handy, removing rope form a sea turtle. The dm had a little 3 cm stubby and it would have taken forever to cut the line.
I always carry at least two cutting tools. Because even on vacation you can run into fishing line, or find fish or turtles caught up in fishing line or ghost nets. Your buddy, who didn't think it necessary to have a cutting tool on vacation may get tangled up in line....

As well as a flashlight, DSMB, and finger reel.

Always be self-reliant. NEVER expect someone else to help or rescue you.

Y’all can carry your “knives” on your calves all ya want. I’ll still go with a titanium machete strapped to my thigh!
No titanium for me! Everyone knows that sharks have bad eyesight and poor coverage for tetanus shots. So, a machete so that they can see it - but it needs to be rusty so they stay away.

I have had 0 shark attacks so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom