Dive Kayak equipment report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys -

I did my first kayak diving over the weekend and I have some dos and don'ts.

Mostly don'ts.

My yak is a scupper pro tw. Nice boat. It handled the surf really well. I flipped it twice, mainly because of equipment issues.

In no particular order -
1. Don't bring a giant cave light. Very heavy and hard to stow. The newer NiMH packs might be small enough. My Pro 6 kept trying to drag my BP/tank off of the boat.

2. Use a lightweight BP. You have to lift the BC/tank out of the water into the kayak while in the water yourself. You really want to have a light BP. My steel BP is great for the boats, I'll be getting a plastic one for the kayak.

3. Use a short(er) hose. The 7' was way long. A 5' would be better.

4. Small light tanks. I was using LP120s. God's own air supply, but a major pain to lift into the boat. The big tanks, steel BP, and big canister light really over-weighted the boat. Made it very tippy. Very hard to stow after the dive. I will be getting some HP80s and will reserve the LP120s for dive boats and/or occasional deep dives.

5. No H-valve. The H valve makes the tank sit much higher. Very tippy!

6. The water tight marine radio isn't. I'll use a radio dry bag for the next one. The current one flooded after the 1st roll.

7. Don't bring a cell if you have a marine radio and vice versa. I flooded my cell in the 1st roll. It was in a phone dry bag that failed.

8. Don't bring a lot of water/food. I had a mac-daddy supply of water. 1 squeeze bottle and 1 gallon in the forward hold would have sufficed. I didn't eat any of the crackers either.

9. Don't bring towels / sponges. They just take up room and weight. The SIT design is wet anyway.

10. Use a big mesh bag for all diving gear other than BC and tank. I had separate tethers for each item. A real pain. One bag to clip off to the side would have been much better.

11. No scupper plugs. You are going to get wet anyway. The scupper plugs just hold in water and make you tippy.

12. Use a seat with bottom and bottle holders. Easier on the bum, more comfy, and your bottles stay with the boat when you roll.

13. Use a paddle leash! I had side clips. Not very good.

14. Install lock rings. I rigged a impressive looking steel cable and lock to make it look like the boat was secure during my hotel stay. I will be riveting on two lock rings (bow/stern). They will be used as backup securing points while the yak is on the car.

15. Small anchor for light stuff. I made a really nice anchor and chain line. Way heavy and it stayed in the car. If the weather is good, take a 1lb folding anchor without a chain.

16. Keep one side of the boat clean for mounting and rolls. I had gear on both sides. Major pain when boarding.

17. Small fins. My Tusa Xpert Zooms were very hard to stow. Long and they have a nice kink. Smallish flat fins (ala jetfins or similar) would have been much better.

Well, I think that is it for the don'ts.

Dos.

I have BMW 528. I used the Profile 2000 rack with some foam pads. I strapped it down really and it worked great. I bought an extra tow ring and secured the bow and stern to the front and rear tow rings. This pretty much removed all fishtailing.

Fishtailing is when a strong vortex from a big rig makes the yak pivot back in forth on its rack. A big enough rig will make your car fish tail too!

I had this combination up to 100mph with no problems. Well, not me, someone else. Anyway, my, errr, somebodies, cruise speed was 85MPH. No problems, very little extra noise and the yak was stable and steady the entire time (2.5 hour round trip).

I made a legal 20x20 dive flag out of a fiberglass pole and some brass tubing. About 6' tall. This worked really well and my kayak was very visible. The other yakers used the smaller 12x12 dive float flags. These are not legal, but I doubt anyone actually cares. I am thinking adding a radar reflector as the radar signature of a plastic yak is about 0.

So, to sum up.

Use the smallest, lightest scuba rig that you can. Don't take extra crap. Do secure the yak to the car well. Do waterproof your electronics in a failsafe manner.

Peter Doege

That was pretty good reading. Unfortunately you dont see much about kayak diving on here. Im looking at getting a cobra fish n dive or even a cobra triple that the family can use and also use it as a dive kayak.

There is a lot of stuff on the net. I bought my kayak after adding up the cost of my boat rentals. Ack! The yak will pay for itself in a month of heavy diving.

The Fish'n'Dives and Cobras are beamy and stable. Not much for speed and cruising.

The Scupper is longer and tippier. I had a poor loadout and that didn't help. Faster when properly set up.

Check out:
http://kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/index.htm
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles/FishDive/KayakDiving6.html
http://www.kayakdiving.com/

The club I joined is
http://kayuba.org/

Peter

I bought a Diveyak. I have the grey ones with the hatch. Although the hatch is for the most part useless (I always keep it closed) it was great this weekend on Venice Beach. Unrolled it on the beach, inflated it with a cordless quickpump, and loaded up my girlfriend & our, BC's & tanks. People just stood and stared :)

Paddled out about 100 yards past the Venice fishing pier and dropped a PWC anchor. Much easier then a surface swim + there was a cold Pepsi waiting for me in the cooler we brought along at the end of the dive. The boat weight is about 40 LB & built like a small Zodiak.

Only bad part was paddeling in the rain to the beach.

I joined the Kayuba club that was in the Rodales article. Good group.

The diveyaks seem to be pretty popular. The Divers Direct in W. Palm actually stocks them. Might be nice to not need a roof rack. Hmmmm.

Peter

I liked the diveyak enough that I found out how to get the current models at considerable discounts. Not the Blue 1 and 2 person - just the Grey ones with the hatch.

If you get an inflatable a great item is the Coleman Quickpump Rechargable inflator which you can buy at any K-Mart. Well worth the money! Inflates the boat in less then 4 minutes + you don't pass out on the beach.:D

This is a cut & paste of why diving off a kayak is nice
I give full credit to the kayak group for the info :)

It's easy to reach sites far away from your entry point.

There's no exhausting surface swim.

Currents, especially rips, are no problem.

Your surface support craft is always near-by when drift diving.
bring back game or salvaged items.

The kayak allows the use of fish finders and GPS.

Paddling provides an upper body workout you don't get diving.
It's easy to

The kayak goes on top of your car, no assembly required.

Except for parking fees and air-fills, it's free.

Entry and exit through surf is so much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom