DIVE INTERNSHIP!?!? Need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah it’s ******** how poorly paid they are but I’d be doing it more for the love of the job and to see where it takes me, I’m not a very money driven person so if I were I’d be definitely looking into another career option. I want to do something that’ll enable me to be able to travel the world and work, so figured this would be perfect.

... I want to do something that’ll enable me to be able to travel the world and work, so figured this would be perfect.

As long as you understand you will not make enough money to cover your expenses it is not a bad idea. I know a few people that have done it for a year or two (until they run out of money) and have had a good time.

Helpful to have several languages and boat licence and so on. Don't expect too much in terms of the diving. Keep your air fare home somewhere safe so someone back home can get you back if needs be.

Hope it goes well for you.

I have been driving for over 50 years keep your internship local forget all of the country training because most people don’t take it seriously unless you just want to buy your way into it then go down to some other country ,my suggestion is for most important take a paramedic course knowing how to dive is only a small portion knowing how to save a persons life in an emergency is the most important

I have been driving for over 50 years keep your internship local forget all of the country training because most people don’t take it seriously unless you just want to buy your way into it then go down to some other country ,my suggestion is for most important take a paramedic course knowing how to dive is only a small portion knowing how to save a persons life in an emergency is the most important

I found your comment interesting - could you be more specific - bring your lived experiences about sentences I bold
a paramedic course in certain country it's minimum 3 full-time year with 'Many Are Called, But Few Are Chosen' or because local laws do not allow you to give drugs such as adrenaline or something like that if you are not a physicien..

but you are right - get more rescue training - and bring up more trained diver (specially in recreational) in the market.

Last edited:
Life is not about money, it's about experiences and memories. If it looks like it will be fun do it. Keep your eyes open and be careful.

Life is not about money, it's about experiences and memories. If it looks like it will be fun do it. Keep your eyes open and be careful.

I agree. Being an airline pilot looks like fun and I would like to do it.

Sadly I don't have the money to afford the training. So while life is definitely not all about money the lack of money is a real show stopper for some things. Being a Divemaster doesn't look much fun to me if I am honest, but that's just me. Like the OP I like the idea of travel and going to some fantastic dive venues. Guiding a load of idiot tourists when I get there is not fun.

I agree. Being an airline pilot looks like fun and I would like to do it.

Sadly I don't have the money to afford the training. So while life is definitely not all about money the lack of money is a real show stopper for some things. Being a Divemaster doesn't look much fun to me if I am honest, but that's just me. Like the OP I like the idea of travel and going to some fantastic dive venues. Guiding a load of idiot tourists when I get there is not fun.

I was primarily addressing my comments to the OP who seems to be young and adventurous. As we grow older we gain debt and responsibilities which tend to channel us away from our dreams.

At 69 I have no desire to be either a pilot or a dive master. I am happy, though, that I spent my youth, as my mother used to say, "wasting my time".

By the way, if you REALLY want to be an airlines pilot, and you have the flexibility and capabilities to become one, I say go for it.

Biggest question for the OP is whether the "internship" will actually grant you standard credentials, and guarantee that. No creds? Then you'd still need to take a course, after you got back to home or wherever.

You might look for courses in the Florida Keys, where there are lots of shops, reasonably hot water this time of year, and while the cost of living won't be cheap, at least the language will sound vaguely familiar.

Coming as a tourist/student, there's also no issue of needing a work permit. (I think we still allow Aussies into the country, that man keeps changing so many rules daily...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom