Dive Haven GA Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did some Trimix training at this quarry when it first opened before the 150 ft platform and buoy were in place. Vis was maybe 3 ft max on the bottom with cannister lights. Did our deco on a lift bag and reel. Instructor maybe should have chosen a spot with a hard bottom at 80 feet? Could have bee a bad sit. Glad everyone is okay.

The students were under the supervision of an instructor, a divemaster, and a divemaster in training. Their max depth was to be 80 feet, and not all went too deep. The actual search was for one.

As a result of this event, Dive Haven is planning to install at least one more training platform (max depth probably 80-100 feet). And from discussions overheard in the EMS circle, they will be formulating a more solid rescue plan as well. So something good is going to result from this event.

Last edited:
Wow! Didn't know the viz was that low at the bottom. I figured it would be dark, but low viz as well. I can understand how the diver became seperated from his group. My dive buddy and I were in 3ft viz once and lost each other upon descent. Glad to hear EMS is updating their rescue plans.

Wow! Didn't know the viz was that low at the bottom. I figured it would be dark, but low viz as well.

As of 3 weeks ago, the bottom dark and cold, but had about 15-20' vis with good canister lights.

When it first opened, it did suck big.

~Jeff

The students were under the supervision of an instructor, a divemaster, and a divemaster in training. Their max depth was to be 80 feet

I wonder why they did not use the rope off the middle dock? That rope goes down just below 100' as I recall. No platform, but at least it bottoms out.

And from discussions overheard in the EMS circle, they will be formulating a more solid rescue plan as well. So something good is going to result from this event.

Good to hear! Do you know if Dive Haven has any trimix ready onsite for deep rescues (just in case)? Seems like that would be a good idea too.

Just to stir up the pot, it appears that the instructor was not exercising good judgement by utilizing an improper venue for training the level he was training. You don't take OW advanced students to a 150 ft cold, dark hole for a class with a max depth limit of 100 ffw. Things can and always do seem to get out of hand.

It would seem that way.

I see little wrong with four students at depth in warm, clear water, but cold, dark quarries is another matter. Control is lost the second one of your wards decides he has had enough and as an instructor, it is always about control. We are responsible for our student's welfare.

Well put.

..... Vis was maybe 3 ft max on the bottom with cannister lights....

The visibility is better than 3ft at the bottom. The problem is it is dark down there and there isn't anything for a light to illuminate down there.

i was the divemaster during that incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom