Dive flags in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncaswell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,
My wife and I just booked our first trip to Bonaire. Can anyone tell me if dive flags are required for shore diving?
Thanks!

They are not required nor are they needed. Just relax and have fun.

Have not seen anyone using a dive flag at Bonaire, so I doubt they are required. Just did a shore dive last month from one of the resort dive ops and saw no dive flags except on the dive boats.

Not required but if going on your to shore dive, read the guide books on those sites where you may encounter windsurfers. Because you will not be using a flag, you need to pay extra attention when you surface, especially if not close to shore to make certain nothing is above you or coming your way.

realize its not the question asked but they are required in Curacao. You may not have seen them, or you may ignore it but they are required there. Not in Bonaire which is a reason we go back year after year. Curacao we went once and were shocked to learn they are required there. Important reason we have not returned. my 2cents...

realize its not the question asked but they are required in Curacao. You may not have seen them, or you may ignore it but they are required there. Not in Bonaire which is a reason we go back year after year. Curacao we went once and were shocked to learn they are required there. Important reason we have not returned. my 2cents...
Interesting, we did a bunch of guided shore dives there and neither DM nor anyone else had one. No other group of divers that we have seen had one either.

Hi All,
My wife and I just booked our first trip to Bonaire. Can anyone tell me if dive flags are required for shore diving?
Thanks!

Dive Flag is Not Required. Needed, most likely not. SMB also not required and most likely not needed. However, just because the nature if diving in Bonaire, ie: little to no current, slow ascending shallow shore exits, little boat traffic does not guarantee that an emergency will not occur, ie: needing to signal for help at the surface or perhaps giving assistance to a distressed diver at surface. If you own one, it does not hurt to take it. I store mine in an EZ Mount QD pouch. If I need it it is only a quick pull away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom