dive flag in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just been reading one of the dive guides to cozumel, and it says that if you shore dive, you need to tow a flag.

1) Is this true?
2) Should I bring my flag with me, or are they easily and cheaply rentable?
3) Does this include off- shore at resorts?
4) Does anyone know if when you rent a tank, is it for 24 hrs or single trip? How much does a fill cost?

thanks in advance for any help- I'm just trying to figure out max number of dives in my timeframe.

munkispank once bubbled...
Hi there,

I have just been reading one of the dive guides to cozumel, and it says that if you shore dive, you need to tow a flag.

1) Is this true?
2) Should I bring my flag with me, or are they easily and cheaply rentable?
3) Does this include off- shore at resorts?
4) Does anyone know if when you rent a tank, is it for 24 hrs or single trip? How much does a fill cost?
1) In 20+ years of going to Cozumel, I've never seen anybody tow a dive flag, and I've seen and done a bunch of shore diving there. You do have to be very careful of boat traffic if you go very far out, though. I carry a safety sausage in case I have to surface out there, but I don't do it if I don't have to.

4)Onshore tank and weights rental is $6 just about everywhere, and I always discuss with the shop how and when I will return them; there's no hard and fast rule. Of course, if it's a boat dive, the tanks stay with the boat.

thankyou for your replies, Thank God for forums like this- I try to do as much research before a trip, but books and increasingly websites are out of date.

I would have looked like a right idiot towing my flag if no- on else does it.

(BTW, the book claims you can get a fine without one)

counting down....

Sounds kind of danreous to me. Lots of boat traffic too. Also where are the reefs that one can gain access to from shore ?

there are several places to get to from shore. There are a few discussions on here with places listed. I know it won't be Bonaire, but I like the freedom of shore diving.

George Correa once bubbled...
Sounds kind of danreous to me. Lots of boat traffic too. Also where are the reefs that one can gain access to from shore ?

It can be dangerous if you are not prudent in your practices and precautions, but then so can crossing the street. Swim out and back in at depth, plan your air consumption so that you can do that, and carry a safety sausage in case something unforseen interferes with your plan. You can't really get lost if you have (and can read) a compass; shore is always to the east.

There isn't really any shore diving off Cozumel to compare with what you can get to from a boat, but there are a few nice dives you can do. There's Villablanca Wall, which you can get to from El Cid (formerly La Ceiba), Villablanca, or Caribe Blu (formerly Lorena). There's the airplane wreck (what's left of it) and the shoreward section of the cruise ship dock at El Cid. There's the shoreward section of Chankanaab Reef and the cave opening that you can get to from Chankanaab Park (you'll need to go with one of the park DM's). There are also areas of small coral heads, sea fans, and sponges a little ways out from many of the hotels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom