Dive Flag Awareness, a different perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tug

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Most often people point out other boaters not paying attention to dive flags, but it is important to remember a few things. One of which is to only fly your flag when actively diving. This does not mean fly it whenever you are on the boat.

The other day I was heading up Tampa Bay on a 500+ foot tug and barge unit when I saw something that caught my eye. I was standing on the bow of the barge and I noticed a boat flying the divers down flag pass right in front of us. So close in fact that I lost sight of them as they passed ahead of us. Guess what flag they were flying? yup, a dive flag...

So please keep in mind that you aren't the only ones out on the water and to only fly your flag at appropriate times.

Last edited:
That is illegal in Florida:

(7) The divers-down flag must be lowered once all divers are aboard or ashore. No person may operate any vessel displaying a divers-down flag unless the vessel has one or more divers in the water.

I was diving Beverly Harbor in Massachusetts,and decended only 10 feet when a 20 foot power boat over ran my dive flag at about 40 mph!! Another time we ran out of gas and two drunks offred to tow us to the launch ramp,then they ran out of gas,poured a spare can in and spilled most of his beer in the funnel while he was pouring..then they almost ran over some swimmers at the beach,then they got all cut up from the sharp rocks of the jetty we were up against. Be careful!! there's a lot of clowns out there!!

A boat with salt spray on the windshield, heading into the sun, probably won't see your dive flag

Thats not a good deal to fly a Diver flag and not have divers in the water. Education is the key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom