Dive Costa Rica or Nicauragua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Playa Del Coco and dove with Rich Coast Diving. They were very friendly and I'm still alive. It was windy and very rough, but it was a fun dive. Visibility was decent and we say some large spotted eagle rays and sting rays and some big fish and moray eels.
We went to Nicaragua on Nica express which was pretty nice and fairly cheap, but it took about three hours to get across the border and they said during high tourist season it could take up to 8 hours.
The Nica express goes from San Jose to Chinendega for $ 30. I know they also had stops in Liberia and Managua. We took a local bus from the main road in Liberia to Playa del Coco. I think it was under a dollar and it took about an hour. Going there we went by cab from Liberia and it took under 30 minutes but cost alot more.

Nicaragua isn't the only place in the world with freshwater sharks, although I don't know of any other place that has landlocked freshwater sharks (as opposed to those who have ready access to the sea, like those in the Zambezi River and - I think - in Australia).

The catch here is that they are the only sharks that are born and live out their lives in fresh water.

Your best bets will be:
Corn islands-Nicaragua
Playa del Coco-Cat and Bat islands-CR

In Coco I like Deep Blue Divers-cheap, fun, nice boats and equiptment, and safe.

Hola,
I don't know much about Nicaragua, but for diving in Costa Rica, Playaqs del Coco is the place to be. I took a trip to the Caribbean side and the dive shop told me not to go dive because we would be very disapointed if we are used to the Pacific. The diving here is great, sometimes the viz is not the greatest, but the sea life is really worth it. Right now we have a pregnant white tip wo doesn't seem te be bothered with the divers. There are loads of rays and if you are lucky whales, dolphins and even the whale shark. Catalina is famous for the Mantas and believe me this is an amazing dive.
If you have any more questions you can always drop us a note. Check out our website for the contact information.
If we don't see you guys here, happy diving where ever you decide to go!
Brenda

I will throw another vote in for Rich Coast Diving in Playas del Coco. I did my very first dive with them back in March and it was a great experience. Very experienced folks, well-run operation, and everyone was very nice.

I can only agree with that. I have been diving with Rich Coast Diving over the past few weeks, and it was great. Apart from the (pregnant) white tip reef sharks, enormous spotted eagle and sting rays, eels and lots of fish, there are (sometimes killer) whales, dolphins and huge turtles. Viz is usually pretty good.
Apart from that, the whole crew is very experienced, the boat is really comfortable and the coffee is always ready for anyone who likes to pop in for a chat.
Have fun, wherever you decide to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom