Dive Computer vs Dive Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as far as cost a good dive watch cost about as much as a dive comp now adays

I would suggest a cheap dive computer (wrist mount). The gf and I picked up a set of Oceanic Veo 100’s ($150 each IIRC), and they do the basics and more.

Also, be sure to get training in the computer!!! I took the course through DCT (above) and now I know how to read the display and all the output. I had a talk with a divemaster about his baffling experience with people that buy $500+ watches and don't know how anything works.

I just did some dives with my newly cert. daughter who trained on dive tables. When she saw how much more time was gained diving with a computer vs. the tables all she could think about was getting her own dive computer.

A big thing about dive computers is they give you more flexibility in executing your dive plan. Maybe you've planned your dive to a max depth of 50 feet, based on what was explained in the dive briefing, but then when you get down there, you notice that there's a really cool critter hanging out at 65 or 70 feet. With a dive computer, you have the information at your fingertips to decide whether you can go get a closer look, but if you have just a watch, unless you carry tables on the dive with you, it's more difficult to make that judgement.

I just did some dives with my newly cert. daughter who trained on dive tables. When she saw how much more time was gained diving with a computer vs. the tables all she could think about was getting her own dive computer.

I would recommend a watch and depth gauge over a computer. Not just to save money but to reduce your dependency on something that can quit on you if the battery fails. The other problem with computers is while they can give you more bottom time it is at the expense of reducing your safety margins. To avoid carrying tables with me I used permanent ink to write the no decompression limits on the arm of my wet suit

A big thing about dive computers is they give you more flexibility in executing your dive plan. Maybe you've planned your dive to a max depth of 50 feet, based on what was explained in the dive briefing, but then when you get down there, you notice that there's a really cool critter hanging out at 65 or 70 feet. With a dive computer, you have the information at your fingertips to decide whether you can go get a closer look, but if you have just a watch, unless you carry tables on the dive with you, it's more difficult to make that judgement.

I find that to be a little far fetched.... please explain to me what PDC is scrolling NDL's during an active dive. Your PDC is only going to tell you what you just did (current depth), and the results (NDL and/or remaining air) of such action.

I started diving in '89, some of my more fiscally endowed dive buddies had these huge grey bricks on their wrists with ALADDIN written all over them. "One day...." I used to say to myself.
Well the day has long since come and I have my bottom of the range wrist mount computer which is perfect. I dive to have fun and relax, anything that will add to reducing task loading is to be considered at least in my book.
Having dived a couple of hundred times using a depth gauge and watch and my table slate in my BCD pocket and then having dived a couple of hundred times with my computer and STILL carrying my table slate in my pocket I will always recommend getting a dive computer at the earliest opportunity.
Earliest is a context thing, after personal gear (mask, fins etc) I would say exposure suit, regs, BCD and then computer if money is an issue.
As my much more knowledgeable SBers have already pointed out by the time you have bought even a low end depth gauge and watch you will have spent a fair bit of the money towards a basic computer.
I would suggest if you do decide to buy to try a few different brands. They are like cars, they will all do pretty much the same thing but the way they do it will be a bit different and you will like what you like, just because you do.

I realise that a dive compy can tell you everything from the temperature, to the rate of ascent, to your arsehole tightness, but for someone starting out, would it be doable with a watch?

Just how do you use a watch to measure arsehole tightness? Actually, you won't get that feature with a dive computer -- if you need this, keep your watch. :wink:

+1 on getting an entry-level computer for all the reasons stated by others. You can get an entry-level model relatively cheaply and the extra bottom time is worth every penny.

Last edited:
I would recommend a watch and depth gauge over a computer. Not just to save money but to reduce your dependency on something that can quit on you if the battery fails. The other problem with computers is while they can give you more bottom time it is at the expense of reducing your safety margins. To avoid carrying tables with me I used permanent ink to write the no decompression limits on the arm of my wet suit

a dive computer will give you deco information if you accidently went there.

you would need a lot of arms or your wetsuit to sort that lot out.

a dive computer will give you deco information if you accidently went there.

you would need a lot of arms or your wetsuit to sort that lot out.

If you do not rely on the computer to do your thinking for you then you will be paying more attention to your gauges. When the dive profile called for it I would carry tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom