dive computer protector issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all

Slightly silly problem here... I bought an Oceanic Geo 2.0 dive computer the other day and installed the screen protector as indicated (clean and wet, then worked away any bubbles).

It worked fine, nice and clear except after a couple of hours a pattern showed up on the protector. I thought this might be residual moisture, rubbed / pressed with a cloth to make sure there were no bubbles and waited for it to dry.
Except it didn't go away, it's still there over 4 days later, and not evolving so and I don't really know what to think. Pressing it doesn't make alter the shape.

Would anyone know what went wrong and what I should do?
Here are some pictures so that this might be clearer:

thanks

ben

Can't test it while diving for another 3 weeks. I placed it under running water and rubbed and this "unglued" the screen protector which now turns on the screen. I wonder if I missed something on install. The manual said to remove the paper cover, which I did, and also mentioned a "plastic film", but I couldn't find any to remove as much as I tried. Wonder if this might be the problem.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with mine. The more I messed with it the worse it got. I ended up just not using the screen protector. The glass is inset a little so it protected to some degree.

It seems to me that you still have the plastic film underneath the screen protector & it keeps the screen protector from sticking on to the computer screen. If you take the dive computer as is, the screen protector will peel off during diving.

The plastic film is there to protect the sticky part of the screen protector from getting dirt, dog hair or dust before installing it on the dive computer screen.

How about put them back in a bucket of water, peel the screen protector underwater, hold the screen protector between your thumb & index fingers, then slide your index finger on your thump print underwater and see if you can shear the film off the screen protector. Then you place the screen protector over your dive computer screen and squeegee the water out of the screen.

That would totally make sense. I'd tried to remove hidden protector but couldn't find anything to peel off last time. I'll remove the screen protector and try again underwater see if I can peel anything off.

Ah, success!
Thanks, it was the plastic film. I took the protector off, and pinched it between thumb and index for a while and finally saw something appear on one edge.
Managed to peel it off with a paper clip at first then fingers and reapplied it. Looks clean this time, I'm sure it was actually water trapped between the film and the protector itself.

It does stick pretty well with the film still on, so be careful if you haven't found a plastic film to remove

thanks everyone!

ben

This is a special screen protector for underwater use. If you put a regular screen protector for above water use, like watches or smartphones or camera viewfinder screens, it will eventually come off. Been there. Done that.

Just FYI, Oceanic also used to make a Dome protector for the Atom and Geo. It's a thicker plastic cover that covers the screen AND the bezel and all 4 buttons. It doesn't stick on with adhesive. It has 2 loops (for lack of a better word) that the wrist straps go through to hold it on.

They are hard to find because I guess Oceanic doesn't make them any more. But, they are a lot more protection than the little stick-on disk that just covers the screen itself. You can kind of see what it looks like in this picture of my Atom (on the right).

2016-10-06%2015.44.19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom