Dive computer for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
O.K. time for me to enter the post world. I'm upgrading my reg set and planning to use what I can of my old set as a back up. This includes my "vintage" 1992 prodigy computer. I mainly spear fish on the north Cali. coast. Would like some input on a good computer that wont break the bank. Not against used. I just don't know what I need. Would like some longevity with it. Answers on AI, mixed gas and counsel vs. watch pros and cons would be very appreciated. After 2 days of searching it looks like there are many good ones out there. Would like to narrow down the search. I know some discontinued ones are still very good. I'm not a "keep up with the jones'es" kind of guy. More of a practical does what it should kind. Thats why the used or older version discontinued looks good to me. My budget is of a family guy with 3 little ones. Thanks in advance. I've looked at some threads and found most of the advice to be good. Greg

Have a look at the Oceanic VEO series.
Good price,great to work with.
Even when you get a bit older(eye wise):D

Mares M2 Nitrox Computer reviews and discounts, Mares

Might want to check out this.

I picked one of these up and I love it. Every feature you could possibly want..Nitrox, backlight display, huge logbook, deep stop, simulator etc etc.

only downside it is big and doesn't look as fashionable as say a Gekko....but its like the half price.

WOW!!!! thats the front runner right now. You are right, it has many good features especially the cheap battery feature. Many thanks Greg

AI:
it is a very expensive and not really needed feature; i am against it usually because it tends to replace good gas planning with just diving as much as the computer tells you that you can.

mixed gas:
good if you expect to dive nitrox

console versus watch:
i find a console-mounted computer to be not as comfortable as a watch, because it is restricted in its movement by the HP hose. as the HP hose is usually on your left, and the inflator is also on your left, it is harder to watch it during ascents/descents.

nice computers in my opinion are oceanic geo/aeris manta (same computer), suunto vyper 1, vyper air, vytec, gekko and mares nemo excel.

Normally I'm not a fan of the Suuntos' algorithm - it's too conservative for my taste - but given your diving preferences (especially considering you're a spearo), I would suggest that you really don't have a choice.

Take a long look at the Suunto D4. It works very well as a dive computer, and the freedive mode is simply superb.

All the best, James

More information on your diving and future diving plans would be helpful.

Here's my quick $0.02 on the questions:

Air Integrated
Pros: With air integrated into the computer, you have an all in one dashboard. One less hose (if you don't carry a back-up SPG).
Con: Additional complexity, potential failure point, expensive, and some first stages may not have space for the transmitter.
My recommendation: Air integrated is not necessary and not worth the additional expense. There are simple formulas to determine gas consumption, and after a few dives monitoring your SCR/DCR you'll know how much you use.

Mixed Gas (assuming Air and Nitrox only)
Pro: Future proofing for many divers.
Con: Additional cost.
My recommendation: Get a Nitrox enabled computer. Usually only a few dollars more, and does provide a lot of flexibility. Beyond a nitrox enabled computer, I'm not so sure. Actually started a thread to see if it's possible to Future Proof with a multi-gas computer.

Counsel vs Watch
Counsel Pro: Won't loose your computer.
Counsel Con: Can make the counsel bulky.
Watch Pro: Depth and Time easily available. Convenient if you need to manage depth (eg. safety stop).
Watch Con: Another piece of gear to remember.
My recommendation: Watch. I like having the depth and time readily available, and with arms in front, the computer is always in or near my field of vision. Great in situations were I have to multitask and manage depth.

New vs Used
New Pro: New and shiny
New Con: Expensive
Used Pro: Save money
Used Con: Unknown condition (always buyer beware)
My recommendation: This is personal, but I have no issues buying a simple Uwatec Bottom Timer or a nitrox computer with replaceable batteries. Need detailed pictures and confirm that the seller is reputable.

With regards to buying a computer, I like one with an intuitive user interface - something that I don't need to read a manual for. Unfortunately, not many dive computers fall into this category for me. But I could just be thick headed (and judgmental) since I help build software products.

I would give my opinion...

1 - Don't use console computer, makes console haevy and is more difficult to use, specially toghether with other tasks, like someone mention, inflator hose for example.
2 - Go for a simple one, I would not throw a lot of money in a computer
3 - Nothing substitutes your head, if you plan your dive well, you basically need only a Botton Timer and Depth Gauge

My configuration: Primary UWATEC Botton Timer, Back up: Suunto Mosquito, small and cheap, in technical dive I use it in bottom timer and gauge mode, in recreational I keep computer mode on just in case, but dive by the plan previously made.

Look at a Suunto Vyper. They are cheap (price wise) and abundant because of the newer models coming out, simple, user replaceable battery, air/nitrox/gauge mode. I picked one up for 170 USD just by looking around but they can be had cheaper.

Also consider an Uwatec Bottom Timer. Cheap, abundant kinda, simple, but the killers for me- no back light and no user replaceable battery. But I have two because they are a great deal.

Both of these will fit, nicely, actually perfectly in a Deep Sea Supply wrist consoles made for each. They are cheap, abundant, bullet proof if cared for and used correctly, and not cluttered in a console.

See the theme? Cheap, abundant, simple. Works every time. :D

I hope this helps.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom