Dive computer differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budman12

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have Mares T2 Dive computer that seems to retrict my dive time compared to my buddy's dive computers. 2 of them have a Aries T3 and 1 has a Cressi. We dive the same profiles, times and everything alike, but my computer puts me in deco well before the others near any decon time. Does anybody know the reason for this?
Is there some way to decrease the safety factor on this computer like other ones have?
I tried the Mares web site and found no support forum on line.

Thanks

Bud

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to Mares Forum...

Bud, Mares uses one of the more conservative algorythms (RGBM) for their computers which in some specific diving circumstances (multiple dives, multi-level, etc...) can give less NoDeco time than computers using other models. Although I'm not 100% sure which models your buddies computers use, this is most likely the reason your computer is giving you less time. Unfortunately for you, there is no way of toning down this model in the computer. Just remember, when diving you should always follow the most conservative computer! Don't pursue the dive basing yourself on your buddies computer! Follow your own!

Personally, I like the more conservative models of the Mares computers and rarely has this been a hindrance to my bottom time.

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Not quite the same thing, but I have a Suunto D9 which follows RGBM and a Sherwood Profile attached to my SPG which is a strict 12 compartment Haldanian model, and the RGBM is definitely the more conservative algorythm.

I'm using the Mares Puck RGBM and my Buddy uses the Suunto Vytek RGBM. We dive regularly and our bounce into deco dives are practically the same.

We planned a DECO dive to HMS Stubborn 55m and as we left the bottom on 17mins for our ascent we both had exactly 30mins deco ahead. We checked this before the ascent and we checked this on the dive log after the dive.

With deep stops on, we took 8mins to get to 3m and my Puck showed 41mins deco and my buddies still the same 30mins.

Watching the saturation levels in the Planner/Drak it seems that the Mares saturation level is set higher than the Suunto level as my Puck kept on-gassing the slow tissues adding to the deco time in this 55-3m window whereas the Suunto had already cleared the slow tissues.

So clearly Mares/Suunto take different approaches to the RGBM.

Now the problem for me is that Mares do not have a Dive Planner that would have warned me about the +10mins difference in deco.

Is there plans to release deco planning software so I can actually plan my dives to match my computer or does anyone know of software that I can use that is similar to the Mares algorithm?

Thanks
Matthew

Back
Top Bottom