Dive Computer Alarms: should we even have them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A fascinating thread asking which computers have vibratory alarms quickly devolved into a discussion on the value of dive computer alarms of all types. That discussion is split off here. The original thread, limited to equipment choices, is here.

I am one of the divers who has high pitch hearing loss and can't hear alarms under water. I used a Shearwater Teric a couple years and really liked the vibrating alarms. After giving it some thought I have decided to get a computer with vibrating alarms and keep my other computers for backup.

A little about me so people can understand my needs. I have been diving for about 10 years, strictly as a recreational diver. I have a rescue diver certification and use nitrox when possible. I have around 300 dives in warm water. I would like to do some colder water diving in the northwest US and British Columbia, not sure if that would have an impact on the computer I decide to buy or not.

I'd also like to add air integration with the new computer. I intend to keep carrying my analog pressure gauge so the AI would be redundant.

There doesn't seem to be many computers right now that have the vibrating alarms. I'm sure the feature will become much more common in the near future.

Right now it seems my choices are the Shearwater Peregrine or Teric, the Atmos Mission one, or the Suunto D5.

Any input and opinions about the pluses and minuses would be appreciated.

I’m going to ask the question - why are the alarms even necessary?

There doesn't seem to be many computers right now that have the vibrating alarms. I'm sure the feature will become much more common in the near future.

What in the world of diving is goving you an indication that vibrating alarms are soon to become a thing?

The only things to be sure of in this world are death and taxes.

-Z

I am one of the divers who has high pitch hearing loss and can't hear alerts/alarms under water.
I concur. I can't hear it even if put to my ear.
Those who think alarms are unnecessary really are being kind of narrow. I agree alarms for things you should be paying attention to (like gas pressure and depth) are not necessary, but there are also alarms to tell you something is wrong, like (in the Teric) low transmitter battery or AI connection lost, or high CNS, etc.

But if you re going to have an alarm, it needs (in addition to beeping) to flash on the screen, preferably in color, and vibrate (preferably strongly). The point of an alarm is to get your attention.

I concur. I can't hear it even if put to my ear.
Those who think alarms are unnecessary really are being kind of narrow. I agree alarms for things you should be paying attention to (like gas pressure and depth) are not necessary, but there are also alarms to tell you something is wrong, like (in the Teric) low transmitter battery or AI connection lost, or high CNS, etc.

But if you re going to have an alarm, it needs (in addition to beeping) to flash on the screen, preferably in color, and vibrate (preferably strongly). The point of an alarm is to get your attention.

Narrow, really? My Perdix gives AI battery low notifications (among other warnings) in very large letters. If people aren't paying attention enough to notice such notifications, perhaps they need to re-examine their choice of hobby, as I have to wonder if they’d also not monitor their SPG.

Narrow, really? My Perdix gives AI battery low notifications (among other warnings) in very large letters. If people aren't paying attention enough to notice such notifications, perhaps they need to re-examine their choice of hobby, as I have to wonder if they’d also not monitor their SPG.
Marie, perhaps you dive glued to your computer, but I assure you that u/w photographers in tropical waters do not. And not everyone has that nice big color display that a Perdix has.

Marie, perhaps you dive glued to your computer, but I assure you that u/w photographers in tropical waters do not. And not everyone has that nice big color display that a Perdix has.
I don't dive glued to my computer, I spend a lot of time glued to my camera and whatever I'm shooting it at.
The red/yellow on my Perdix is still extremely noticeable without any type of alerts.

Maybe alerts aren't necessary if you're monitoring your computer properly, but there's no downside to having them. Because sometimes things happen. Humans are fallible, forgetful, and easily distracted. Moreso when you add narcosis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom