Dive compressor for a 85' motoryacht

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biko

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a dive compressor?

Electric, gas or diesel? For the last two, how have you dealt with exhaust?

After thinking about this, has anyone heard of installations using a hydraulic compressor, driven from the engines or generator? That would seem to offer the best of higher CFM than electric compressors, potentially smaller size since there is only the compressor and no motor, and the exhaust problem is dealt with existing systems.

Any other considerations for a compressor located on a boat?

A hydraulic compressor will require a pump, reservoir and hydraulic motor. Hydraulic compressors were/are used on aircraft because of existing installed system.

The issue is not the size of the boat but the size of the requirement. Craig has professional connections in this area and could advise. Clark Yacht or Brownie's could assist depending on location.

Thanks for the replies. I have hydraulic power take-off on my engines and could also have on my generators. It wouldn't be difficult to add a compressor as a load, but perhaps take some effort to engineer correctly. I don't have a big requirement and it may very well be overkill so a small electric Brownie may in the end, the best solution.

I had one customer do a very cool set up on his diesel by hooking his generator and the compressor to an electric clutch mechanism. I don't pretend to understand boat engines or clutches, but he can either be powering his battery bank or pumping air with the flip of a switch. He got the idea from watermaker that sells their unit for LOTS more than it took him to make one.
side.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom