Dive center in Narvik?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickpreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I plan to dive in Narvik / Norway in July and was hoping someone could recommend a dive center. I am aware of the live aboard Jane R but is there also an option of a shore based dive operator? Any information would be welcomed. Thanks

They were the only game in town in 2012, but I'll let someone with more recent info comment on the situation today.
Was an absolutely fabulous place to dive, both for wrecks and sea life/underwater scenery. I also recommend the Dronning Maud wreck. It's about 45 mins drive (driving a car for a RIB dive I mean) away but well worth it.

There really isn't any centers in Narvik. There is a club tho who use to take out visitors if they have time.
There is also a charter boat thingy, the "MS Galten" but i think they are more for bigger groups of divers ($$$) lookup "Narvik Sportsdykkerklubb" (the club), on facebook, it's a group. And ask around there for possibilities. Lots of nice wrecks in the harbor area, and some abit around the area. Dronning maud is good. Also there is a few airplanes (one in shallow freshwater (In Hartvikvannet), and one a few hundred meters from another good shipwreck "Georg Thiele" in Rombakfjorden.

Need to get to Narvik soon aswell for some wreck diving.. been to long since last time!! :S

Psst. Juny is not commonly the best month regarding visibility if your thinking photo/video. Could be lucky tho :wink:

-Ronni Bekkemellem

You would think it would be economically worthwhile to provide shore-based service (fills, spares, maybe even traing) with a RIB at least in the summer months. I'd love to go if this were available at a reasonable price. Great place too because a diver have make really neat dives while the rest of the family is well entertained in the same town.

You would think it would be economically worthwhile to provide shore-based service (fills, spares, maybe even traing) with a RIB at least in the summer months.
Well, like in Finland a lot of Norwegian diving is club-based. Noncommercial clubs, associated with the Norwegian Diving Association and the Norwegian Confederation of Sports. That means the market for commercial ops is smaller, especially since the Nordic countries aren't exactly the prime destinations for the typical vacation diver. The only commercial op I know in the general vicinity is the one in Saltstraumen outside Bodø

The average club has a compressor, a boat and a clubhouse. IMO, their members are often easy-going and quite willing to bring along a foreigner on an outing. The problem is establishing contact; my best bed would be to search up the club's webpages and shoot off an email to them.

Storker is right.. get in touch with the local club in Narvik on facebook. That's where they post dives days and so on. I have been down there several times diving most wrecks there with them (non deep/tec). All good people that will help one out if they have the possibility. On the other hand, FinnMom, one might think so yeah. And i do! In Narvik there are so many easy accessible wreck spanning from like 15m depth to 75m. So i realy think there could/should be a market for a proper dive center there.. ! Just in the harbor area there are close to 10 wrecks most sitting upright and tall. Not to mention that Narvik dos not even have service tech for scuba gear.. But as mentioned, the liveaboard boat stationed in Narvik, MS Galten do take up a part up the scuba tourism there i guess.

Back
Top Bottom