Dive Camera Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Phish

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks, in July I am heading to the riviera maya and I want to get myself a dedicated dive camera setup. I currently have a sony F828 and I don't want to risk it to a flood.

Problem is, since I got that camera I have paid little attention to anything else on the market. I do know that I want a camera that will also take unlimited length movies as long as storage allows.

So what should I look for? Something used is fine, and I have been through the marketplace already. I figure I will get a strobe for it as well.

Olympus seems to be something that sticks in my head from long ago but I'm really at a loss on where to start.

Thanks for the help.
JP

Consider one of Canon's A series, the A570 & A710 are doing well(see my pics in sig for some results with the 570, no strobe)........I would find a post by alcina(can easily find one in the Canon Corner in UW photography forum) & read the info in her sig---probably the most you can find here about UW cameras...good luck, btw, the A570 & Canon UW housing can be bought for a little over $300 US from Amazon.com....

I guess it would help to state what kind of budget you're looking at. With a lens that starts at F2.0 and 28mm your camera would seem a perfect fit for underwater. Look under the Olympus Thread. There's a post by nemrod where he compares two cameras and does a good job. Also read through Alcina's sticky at the top of this page about cameras. The canon G9 is a very popular camera underwater.

Consider one of Canon's A series, the A570 & A710 are doing well(see my pics in sig for some results with the 570, no strobe)........I would find a post by alcina(can easily find one in the Canon Corner in UW photography forum) & read the info in her sig---probably the most you can find here about UW cameras...good luck, btw, the A570 & Canon UW housing can be bought for a little over $300 US from Amazon.com....

Thanks I will take a look at your sig and your recommendations.

I guess it would help to state what kind of budget you're looking at. With a lens that starts at F2.0 and 28mm your camera would seem a perfect fit for underwater. Look under the Olympus Thread. There's a post by nemrod where he compares two cameras and does a good job. Also read through Alcina's sticky at the top of this page about cameras. The canon G9 is a very popular camera underwater.

I'm comfortable with around $500-$600 or so. If I could get a good setup with a strobe for that, that would be great. A used setup is fine with me. I don't mind cruising ebay.

I would make sure any camera you buy has the ability to set the aperture, and shutter in a Manual type of mode. Other things I look for is a wide angle lens, 28mm is good.

Your question is a bit vague, but you*may* find a setup that will work in your price range.

Well I looked at your camera diver85 and your pictures are beautiful but a big turn off for me is the batteries. I really don't want to be fumbling around with double a batteries all the time.

Which housing do you use? The canon or the ikelite? Which is better in your opinion and why?

Well I looked at your camera diver85 and your pictures are beautiful but a big turn off for me is the batteries. I really don't want to be fumbling around with double a batteries all the time.

Which housing do you use? The canon or the ikelite? Which is better in your opinion and why?

Look @ my sig, Canon UW housing....good luck on the battery thingy, trust me, it's not a problem(you'll be changing batteries left & right with a strobe)

Ike housings are far more substantial, built much tougher, than Canon housing but you get what you pay for and Ike housings do cost more.

re the batteries on the Canon A570 etc...we easily get two 70+ minute dives with the lcds on and using the flash plus review back on the boat out of a set of rechargeables.

If you go for a Canon A series that uses four batteries, your camera set up will be slightly larger, but you'll have faster recycle time for the internal flash and the batteries should last for four good dives. At least that has been my experience.

If you do not use your internal flash and instead use your manual white balance, you will extend the life of your batteries considerably.

The Canons I have last far longer on their set of AAs than my Casio or my Oly 720SW with their proprietary batteries. One thing you seem to sacrifice for smaller cameras is battery life, but it's not a pain in the butt too much as long as you choose carefully.

I only use Canon housings with my Canon A series housings. Been using them for years and years. Love 'em.

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom