Dive BVI (dive op) on Virgin Gorda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with them a couple of years ago. Very friendly, good boats, very good divemasters. I can't think of any negatives at all.

It is VERY hot there in July!!!! When I was there in the summer, the water temps were in the high 80's and air temps were near 100 every day. Be careful of that sun.

I'm there right now diving with Dive BVI, and I wouldn't voluntarily dive with anyone else. Everyone there is great, and in Leverick Bay, they have one of the fastest dive boats down there. They keep a flexible site schedule so they can accomidate special requests on where to dive.

Where will you be staying? I personally prefer to dive out of Leverick Bay. There are some really nice people there: Kevin, Cori, Nathan, Mark.

Cori, mentioned above, is on this board as 'gonzodive' if you want to send her a PM.

Dive BVI has nitrox and scooters if you're interested, they're the only ones in the BVI with Nitrox.

Have fun, it's great down here!

saholz:
I dove with them a couple of years ago. Very friendly, good boats, very good divemasters. I can't think of any negatives at all.

It is VERY hot there in July!!!! When I was there in the summer, the water temps were in the high 80's and air temps were near 100 every day. Be careful of that sun.

Thanks for the info.....it is my first trip diving the BVIs and your advice really helps!!

teknitroxdiver:
I'm there right now diving with Dive BVI, and I wouldn't voluntarily dive with anyone else. Everyone there is great, and in Leverick Bay, they have one of the fastest dive boats down there. They keep a flexible site schedule so they can accomidate special requests on where to dive.

Where will you be staying? I personally prefer to dive out of Leverick Bay. There are some really nice people there: Kevin, Cori, Nathan, Mark.

Cori, mentioned above, is on this board as 'gonzodive' if you want to send her a PM.

Dive BVI has nitrox and scooters if you're interested, they're the only ones in the BVI with Nitrox.

Have fun, it's great down here!

Great info! It certainly helps to have an objective opinion. My husband and I are staying at Little Dix Bay and are scheduled for two days of two-tank AM dives and one afternoon dive. I have requested the Chikuzen and The Rhone as my buddies at Malibu Divers told me it is by far the most exciting site, if you can get to it. Did you dive either of these wrecks on this trip?? We are definitely divng Nitrox..that was the reason we chose Dive BVI. Thanks again and have a safe trip home.

Yes, the Chikuzen is awesome, it's one of my favorite dives down here. It is well offshore, about a 30 minute boat ride. Because it's offshore a bit, conditions need to be reasonable to be able to go to it. The Rhone is quite good as well, although it's more a pile of debris than a 'real' shipwreck.

Back to the Chikuzen. They usually only do one dive there, because doing a surface interval out there could be....interesting. For the second dive, they usually do a dive in the Dog Islands, such as POS, Bronco Billy's, and Coral Gardens. If you're into shipwrecks, the Coral Gardens would be a good second dive. There's a wreck of a Shorts 3-60 commuter plane there which you can swim through--we did that today and it was quite a nice dive. For the afternoon dive, it would probably be a close site, but it really depends on what you want to do.

Water temps have been around 85 degrees. Last week the water was very calm, but it's picked up a bit this week, today was somewhat bumpy.

If you have more questions, I would be more than glad to answer them.

teknitroxdiver:
Oh, what part of the month are you coming? Early or late?

EDIT: Here's some pictures of some of the marine life, and the boat you'll be on.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y136/jonathanknight/BVI 2005/

Thanks for the info on the Chikuzen....let's cross our fingers that the conditions will be in our favor. We are heading down on July 9 and staying through the 15th.....can't wait to get in the water. I am too used to the cold Cali diving and am looking forward to some "bathwater" dives. Again, your info has been so helpful....now I can stop stressing! :) Great pictures by the way!

Back
Top Bottom