Dive Buddy wanted for NE Coast dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

I am looking for a buddy/ buddies to dive on weekends out of Taipei.
I have been diving since the Stone Age so don't worry about my experience!
Have my own gear but will need to rent tanks .
I don't have a car but will contribute to gas costs.
I ain't scared of the winter temperatures like some people......

Geoff

I am also looking for a dive buddy, especially interested in day trips from Taipei, but also some weekend trips around Taiwan. Have all my own equipment and have a car. PM also sent

Ryan

hi, feel free to contact us if you're interested in diving and hiking. Formosa Dive Academy the upcoming diving trip is going to Xiao Liu Chiu on the 15th and 16th this month. happy diving.

hello,

is diving in north taiwan still in the tube ?
is it really worth something ? to see anything ?
dive suit of 5 mm is required ?
where to you go ? around keelung ? bitou ?

cheers
chris

---------- Post added February 6th, 2013 at 12:40 PM ----------

hi,
i tried to register to your site, fda, but just could not get it....
20+ years in taipei, i basically just took up diving with my wife and kids and look forward to pratice regulary in taiwan.
i have more experience in trekking though and i have done all the 3 you mention in taiwan a couple of times plus some other in africa and nepal.
look forward to hear from you and see if we can hook up for some activities. cheers chris

Chris,

Diving in Northern Taiwan is not as good as it gets. Southern sites (Kenting, Luodao, Lanyu) are better, but if you are up here anyway (I see you are living in Taipei), regular NE Coast dives are more practical.

Don't get me wrong .... it's not all THAT bad. Just you won't get the incredible biodiversity, viz., spectacular reefs, or depth that you can easily find down south.

NE Coast you're looking at Keelung-Yilan area, specifically Beitou Jow, the Canyons, Longdongwan, sites outside of the Longdong marina, Aodi, Toucheng, etc. In the past there have been some more adventuresome divers around who explored new stuff on their own, but I do not recommend this given your experience level. Contact a club in the city (every shop organizes daytrips), or just pack up your gear (if you own it), and head on out to the Pioneer shop or Northeast at Longdongwan (season and weather permitting).

Temp. and conditions in the winter are troublesome. Few of us dive all year round, but if you want to brave it, a 5mm is the minimum exposure protection you will need. I dive 7mm core under 3mm full length at this time of year. The sea is choppy, too - making shore entries/exits very dangerous. Honestly, the dive scene in the north is sparse throughout the winter .... but there are some diehards up here who would be willing to buddy up with you if conditions are favorable.

Check your mailbox, I've sent PM.

I won't disagree. There is a lot for me to see up here yet - exploration of the NE is an ongoing project, unfortunately conditions at times force us into the old and familiar. Heck in all honesty I'm more experienced with my solo dive in the bay than I am Hemei .... and Beitou well, should I even say? As always, I see that one as a wonderful little training ground. We were out testing new doubles configs there some weeks ago when the conditions looked slightly scary elsewhere.

NE Taiwan will remain my stomping ground all summer long. The Garden out by the marina is one I'd like to get to as often as possible, and further down the road, too - Toucheng, and deeper into Yilan as well? Ken has also made contacts with a boat that he wants to fill and send out to Keelung Island often this season.

Where would you lead the inexperienced in the NE Wantonmien? How about the divers with more experience under their belts looking for something new or challenging?

Any chance we'll see you back here sometime soon?

Hi, It looks as if I'm going to spend the weekend of October 25/26, 2014, in Taipei. I should be able to bring most of my dive gear, and NE Taiwan sounds like an option. This doesn't need to be a prime spot, I'm happy even in our crappy quarries :) But without being able to read in your country it's not really easy for me. Would anybody like to buddy up with me, or point me the right direction?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom