Dive buddies and picture taking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, I am Peters Wife and although I personallly have no interest in photography above or below water, I fully understand how much my husband enjoys it. It completely changes the way in which we dive when the camera comes along. On a non camera dive we generally dive fairly close to one another and I certainly get more interaction from him. when on a camera dive i generally dive mostly alone keeping out of the way of photo opportunities but close enough so that i could reach him if he needed my help in an emergency. if we dive with a group we tend to be way back with me between the group and my photo buddy further back, I try to find objects or animals hiding in the corals and caves for him to photograph. I think a photographers buddy should be confident enough to be mostly on their own and also patient even when their buddy takes forever on a single shot. it is what they enjoy after all.

My gf and I both dive with cameras. Depending on Dive site, vis, other needed equipment/Distractions for dive, etc. We will decide if taking one or both cameras along is worthwhile. If during the dive, conditions change, we will stow the camers and focus on the dive. We are always Dive Buddies first and photographers second. IF one of us is intent on a subject, the other will hang out and observe. We typically find ourselves alternating that role. We always check for each other between each shot or short series of shots. We do not go back to taking pictures unless eye contact is made. IF we separate, we are never more than a few finstrokes away from each other. We both enjoy staying away from the crowds and when diving with a guided group will let the guide know in advance that we do not plan on keeping up with them. We would both rather hover in one place and let our subject come to us instead of chasing it all over the ocean.

I dive solo but only in situations that I'm very comfortable in. I keep conditions in mind as I go through the dive so that if they change I can call the dive or put the camera away. I spent a lot of time reading about how others handle solo diving, it's risks and rewards. I have redundant gear and am very cautious when trying new things and places.

There is certification for solo diving - I'm way too new for their standards so I won't be going that direction any time soon. From what I read, even with the certification some dive ops will still not let you go it alone.

If you go this route, be sure you do your homework and don't think it's an easy decision. Solo diving is not bold or brave, it is a more risky way of diving if you don't think it through and prepare. I still wonder every time if I've covered all the bases that I could have. Good luck in developing your stratagy.

DBailey:
With the tendency of photographers being a solo diver, or having buddies out of reach, is there a "solo-diver" certification?

I am confident in my abilities to dive solo; however, I would like to avoid problems with DMs, charters, etc.

I believe there are courses you can take but they are not always recognized by charters etc. Everytime I dive with a charter will alone they always shout at me back on the boat for being to slow and not keeping in contact with the group even though I ask specifically to just dive alone and make sure I can see a least one other person.

The local charter I go with doesn't really mind what I do however as they know I can take care of myself and have done many dives with them and the DM's.

My girlfriend or my dad are often my buddies. I don't think they like it because I generally am not that social and they tend to watch me taking several pics of one subject, or slowly trying to approach one. I try to make a concious effort to make contact about every 5 mins.

I think that this way of diving is unsafe but I enjoy photography - the pre-dive plan is usually stay close to me if you want, do what you feel comfortable with - I can deal with my own problems it all depends how comfortable you are with dealing with yours.

I have to concur with the rest here, my wife spots and basically watches out for me and I suck at being her buddy. I usually try to buddy her up with somebody else, but she doesn't like that. One thing we've gone to recently is taking pony / spair airs with us so that we're not dependent on each other's air, but a buddy is more than just an alternative air supply :) The other thing we do is she carries a noise maker down with us that I bolt for if she uses. It means she has found something or is in trouble.

Yeah, there is a Solo Cert, forget who it's with SSI? or something, even PADI is looking at it?? just recalling off the top of my head...

Photogs are solo divers... and need to plan accordingly.. this gets into questions of staying with the group, pony bottles, backups and all the stuff that's been and will continue to be covered. Bottom line, same ocean-same day...

I prefer diving with a threesome.. kinda hang along with them, they are buddied up, I take their pics as a trade off and I'll usually stay near by.. I don't spend hours in one spot, but just tag along.

Some "close buddy teams" trade off for each dive. One spots the other shoots and switch the next dive.

Tropical diving, I typically hang "around" the dive master as they usually know where the hot stuff is.. otherwise, just stay in eye distance...

Bottom line, prepare your self for a solo dive and then hang with a buddy as much as you can...

Same Ocean - Same Day...

I suppose an ideal answer to taking a dive trip alone with an underwater camera is to locate another camera diver in the same situation. Both are basically solo divers but at the same time satisfy the dive operation by being "dive buddies".

Yeah Gilligan,
That's about it or what I've been lucky in doing is hooking up with a couple, usually a husband and wife team and just ask if I can tag along and take their pictures underwater... 'they buddy up together and I hang around or with the diver master.. seems to work fairly well...
Now, if the Dive Master is a "10" heheh... then they are fine buddied up together... and I'm diving solo as she'll never give me the time of day...
sigh.. become a dive master, see the world.. and the ladies will flock to your door...
NOT !!!... LOL.... ;-)

In my group, we have a few photographers so we tend to go off together at least at first but almost always lose each other somewhere along the dive. This happens more often at dive sites where we are familiar wtih, at unfamiliar sites or sites with strong currents etc, we tend to be a bit more mindful of each other and cluster closer.
Most of my photographer divebuddies already did solo diving course through SSI and I am thinking of doing it in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom