Dive buddies and picture taking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
When you dive with the intent of taking pictures, how do you discuss the diving plan with your buddy?

Are both of you taking pictures? It seems like both of you could see something neat and head off in opposite directions, then you end up too far away from one another that you defeat the whole purpose of the buddy system.

Does the photographer lead and the other follows? Or do you just kind of agree after each picture where to head to next?

Or is just one person taking pictures and the other is just flying wingman?

My wife is my dive buddy. She hates it. She keeps an eye on me, and I make sure and make visual contact with her after each and every picture.

When my photo buddy is my dive buddy, we tend to get slightly more seperated, and instead normally try and keep the Divemaster as our focal point. Again, making visual contact after each picture.

Yes. Serious photo divers should be comfortable solo diving because no matter how well you plan you will end up alone at some point. Especially if your buddy is also taking pics. I think the best way to stay together is have your buddy be the spotter - find critters for you to shoot. He/she won't get too far away then. Or try Calif buddy diving - jump off the boat together then split. Its really hard to track a buddy with your eye glued to the viewfinder.

Pretty much the same here. If I'm with a group I keep up with their speed....If I have a dive buddy that is also a photographer we hang around in the same area looking for cool stuff, but always keeping contact.

Beast is my usual buddy and before he started taking a camera, he patiently hung out and kept a watch over me, spotting stuff, etc. I'd try to make contact with him after every few pictures but it's easy to get too involved! Now that he's also taking pictures, if we're in a group we hang to the back and keep the group in sight. We're in the same area but not close. You definately need to be comfortable being solo, in the sense of the perfect buddy system.

DBailey
The answer to your question is one of the reasons I am a "solo diver". I always have my camera so I am not paying attention to a dive buddy. My gf Chris is my dive buddy most of the other times. She is comfortable with me having the camera and often swims off doing her own thing.
Basically, we are both solo diving and we both know that.

In all honesty, I personally believe camera divers are solo divers. Their focus is on marine life, not other divers. If a diver is inexperienced and/or uncomfortable with the scenario of basically being a solo diver then they should not dive with a camera diver as the only other diver.

If I was alone on a dive trip I would not want a buddy and would state so. I went on the trip to take photos while diving not to be a dive buddy. The dive guide can keep an eye on me if so desired.

New to underwater photos, but, there always seems to be many people in the group, photo takers or not, that like to interact, get close to, touch, harass the marine life. My wifes oldest son is 18 and enjoys the marine life as much as I do. He's very competent in watching his guages, keeping his buoyancy etc. So, he's a great dive buddy for me. We kind of hang to the back of the group and keep in probably 50ft of each other. I'll take a pic, check where he is, take another pic etc. He does the same, looks for neat fish, corals etc., keeps an eye on me and motions me towards him when he sees something neat. Its difficult to pay too close attention to your partner when taking pics but I think its important that you are both competent divers and generally aware of the other position. Good luck, Greg

gt2003:
New to underwater photos, but, there always seems to be many people in the group, photo takers or not, that like to interact, get close to, touch, harass the marine life. My wifes oldest son is 18 and enjoys the marine life as much as I do. He's very competent in watching his guages, keeping his buoyancy etc. So, he's a great dive buddy for me. We kind of hang to the back of the group and keep in probably 50ft of each other. I'll take a pic, check where he is, take another pic etc. He does the same, looks for neat fish, corals etc., keeps an eye on me and motions me towards him when he sees something neat. Its difficult to pay too close attention to your partner when taking pics but I think its important that you are both competent divers and generally aware of the other position. Good luck, Greg

Sounds like you have a good buddy there. I think that if you're going to have a dive buddy when your taking pictures he has to like diving slow and been patient in order to work. If not your going to dive solo and sometimes it's better.

I think the biggest problem is not finding someone to be a good patient buddy for you, but if you are going to be able to be an effective buddy for them, while taking pictures.

My wife knows that when I'm taking pictures, I'm not being very mindful of her well being as much as maybe should be, or I certainly would be without the camera. She is comfortable with that though. Although she doesn't like the slower pace I dive at with my camera, or the fact that I may go up and down, or side to side all over the place looking for shots.

With the tendency of photographers being a solo diver, or having buddies out of reach, is there a "solo-diver" certification?

I am confident in my abilities to dive solo; however, I would like to avoid problems with DMs, charters, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom