Dive Boat Essentials - Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I really appreciate is a ladder line--simply a 10' length of line tied to the bottom rung of the ladder. If the sea is up, it's great to be able to hold onto the line (as opposed to the bucking ladder), get your fins off and on your arms by their straps, and be able to pull yourself quickly to the ladder during a lull in wave action. A camera line is also handy when entering and exiting the water. -Clay

A nice big table for fiddiling with dry stuff like cameras.
A big wide angled ladder.
A big fresh water tank that is heated.
equal shaded/open area as well as a flybridge.
big camera rinse bins.
A hang bar for saftey stops (this depends on surface conditions though)
A tv for viewing pictures or videos filmed on the dives.
A bbq (again depends on surface conditions).

A good dive deck at the rear, or cutaways if using side ladders. I have lost count of the number of boats i've been on with poor water entry. You have to don fins and stand on a rail or ledge to giant stride. It also makes water exit alot easier if the ladder is flush with the deck. You don't have to step over a ledge then with you heavy gear on.

Identifiable from underwater. It helps when diving busy sites if the DMs and Instructors can easily recongnise the boat from underwater. This allows them to surface by the correct boat!!!!

Well spaced and correctly heighted tank rails. Again I have been on so many boats where once kitted up it is a nightmare to try and stand up as the tank catches on the tank rail.

some boats have a lot of motion on the stern entry/exit platform. Others don't. If you have one that moves a lot at the stern, then a side entry ladder near the pivot point of motion is a good idea.

good, SECURE tank stowage.

My ladder preference is a combination ladder that is normal 2 rail ladder at the top, but with the two bottom steps monopole. This provide good handholds up top, yet has a couple of t-bar type steps at the bottom for getting on with fins still on.

Because of previous experiences I like to see an AED everywhere I go, brings a certain comfort level and shows dedication to the safety of the crew and divers. They don't cost that much anymore either. As far as dive comfort, a nice ladder, plenty of room to sit down, somewhere to be in the shade, plenty of sitting room, and rinse area.

The two things that make a dive boat the most comfortable for me are shade and space. If a boat is too cramped and/or doesn't have a shaded area to set-up, I'll avoid it.

Check this.

Me thinks it could work...

Budget, size?

Charlie99:
My ladder preference is a combination ladder that is normal 2 rail ladder at the top, but with the two bottom steps monopole. This provide good handholds up top, yet has a couple of t-bar type steps at the bottom for getting on with fins still on.
This is an excellent suggestion.

..........O2

Back
Top Bottom