Dive boat conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing the Google barge got me thinking. Could you tow a converted barge over a reef and use that as a dive platform? It could be a mini hotel.

Depends on whose rules you have to follow. FKNMS allows no vessels longer than 60 feet in the upper keys, except on wrecks, and none longer than 100 feet south of Tavernier Key. Then, most divers don't want to see the same reef 5 dives per day for 5 days....

Seeing the Google barge got me thinking. Could you tow a converted barge over a reef and use that as a dive platform? It could be a mini hotel.
This was attempted off Townsville in Oz. Great idea - hotel out on the Great Barrier Reef. It's been condos in Ho Chi Minh City for a whole lot longer than the hotel lasted. The overhead must have been staggering - a lot more than the owners could have remotely anticipated.
The Church of Scientology had a huge barge in the bay near Honolulu International airport for a long time. I remember that it had a pretty large structure - I want to say that it was a geodesic dome, but it was big. And royally damn ugly. It took the state of Hawaii years to finally get the thing condemned, towed and disappeared.
Anything out there requires maintenance, and lots of it. If it's remotely used for commercial use, then you add another bunch of layers to deal with.

My Last "SHIP" was 136ft long 1960 build..600 tonnes, ICE rated, bought it for $750,000. in Finland..spent $750,000 fixing it up with helipad, chamber etc..had a ball for three years in Antarctica and treasure hunting in Philippines..BUT you have to be very careful...the cash flow and outgoings in the middle are horrendous!!!..had all volunteer crew, unless we were on charter then they got paid...my engine was perfect..600hp only..I would NOT want Tug boat engines...my current 50ft dive boat ICE is as much fun 150hp and my latest 25ft 260hp fast dive boat for our treasure hunting in Tonga is even more fun...!! be careful..it is not the buy price it is the operating cost that kills you!

be careful..it is not the buy price it is the operating cost that kills you!

... and that is owning any boat all in one line.

I spend more in a year on fuel and moorage than I did to buy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom