Dive boat capsized near Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

I would like to straighten out any misconceptions about dive boats sinking off Koh Phi Phi. There has been one ferry sinking this year with no casualties. The boat that sunk near Maya Beach was indeed a diving boat from Koh Yao Diving Center that had rented their boat out to Blue Skies Snorkel Tours.
The boat was heavily overloaded with 30 people on board, tanks and equipment but was only used for snorkelling not diving.
In the low season the Andaman side is subjected to strong winds from Phuket which badly affect the side which Maya Beach is on. Experienced captains tend not to take boats on that side during the low season.
It was a matter of inexperienced captain overloading the boat with people and the excess weights of tanks and equipment combined with wavy conditions that caused the boat to capsize.

Hi everyone,

The boat was heavily overloaded with 30 people on board, tanks and equipment but was only used for snorkelling not diving.

It was a matter of inexperienced captain overloading the boat with people and the excess weights of tanks and equipment combined with wavy conditions that caused the boat to capsize.
Why were there tanks and equipment on board if the boat was only used for snorkeling?

Some dive operations have compressors on board and hence do not need to remove their tanks to be refilled. In such cases the tanks and some gear is left on board. As I was here at the time of the incident and spoken to people who were on the boat during the accident the boat was only used for snorkelling and not for diving.

sorry i dont get it

a dive compnay rents out the boat to be used as a snorkel boat and leaves the tanks etc onboard? Fair enough they leave the compressors etc which are fitted but the tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom