Dive Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaz

Looks like things are not quite as rosey as you thought. I strongly considered a trip your way prior to reading these posts. Will opt for another choice.

Hi

Well it seems you have it in for me,

I sent you a nice private message asking you to e-mail me your issues and identify yourself yet you chose to post again and ignore my private message to you, this leads me to believe you may have alterior motives since you are still posting unidentified.

Question DID YOU EVER MEET ME ????

Should I take the stance now and post hundreds of positive comments to outweight the 2 that you found ??? to give a true picture here ??

As I said the resort has been open for almost 3 years and thousands of divers have come thru the doors and 98% of them left after having a great time even Ms Gonzalez said SHE HAD A GREAT TIME AND THE STAFF WERE GREAT a direct contradictory of your comment on the staff which I believe you reffered to them as "what a joke"

by jgonzalez3@nyc.rr.com
We spent a week at Gaz Cooper's resort last year. We had a nice time, the staff was great

There was a problem with her which was which package her boyfriend booked NOT THE QUALITY of her stay as she already stated she had a nice time and the staff was great.

Even if you find 4,5,6 negative messages in the past 3 years I consider that as anyone would 6 too many however based on the fact that thousands have come and gone VERY VERY HAPPY its not a bad percentage of satified customers.

I have to expect to have some issues now and again with the volume of people that come through the doors and as I said I do my best to take care of any issue that arises however there are 2 sides to every story and judgement cannot be passed down fairly unless all sides are heard in each case.

OH by the way I particulary like the way you spent lots of time MAKING BOLD ONLY THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THE POSTINGS IGNORING TOTALLY WHENEVER SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING GOOD AND POSITIVE ABOUT US.

The second comment you posted I do not consider NEGATIVE it was a fair and constructive critique and the poster while not identified made a fair acessment of there stay in there eyes and as I said before we are a fairly new resort improving as time goes on with the help of our guests constrcutive comments, we take note of guests comments and now all windows have screens We have a new larger boat and we now run our own Private water taxi for our guests into town whenever they want to go in addition it waits for them and brings them back when they are ready. So as you can see we take note and improve as we receive the comments and as we grow.

I am sorry you had a bad time however it is not a true accurate reflection of our operation overall during the course of 14 years of business.

Best regards

Gaz

5615mike:
Gaz

Looks like things are not quite as rosey as you thought. I strongly considered a trip your way prior to reading these posts. Will opt for another choice.

Hi Mike

I understand how you can make that assumption however I am very comfortable with how the resort is operating 100 positive questionaires form guests will drown the 1 negative everytime although we never like to get the negative in the first place
But it happens from time to time.

Enjoy your trip and Dive Safe

Gaz

Are you sure you stayed at GAZ COOPER'S Playa Blanca Dive and Beach Club? There is another Playa Blanca on the island. Your experience was quite different than mine. My wife and I stayed at Gaz's in February 2003 and have to say it's one of the best vacations we've had. For full disclosure let me also say that our stay was free, courtesy of Gaz, due to another resort closing and leaving us high and dry. If he or his staff had any reason not to take care of guests, then it would have been us. The free-loaders.

The resort is a bit "remote" since there are no roads to town, but that's one of the pluses. Very quite and relaxing. When Elana took us into what I thought was the lobby, I thought "this is nice." Then I found out we were in our "room." Very large condo. Living area, dining area, full kitchen, and 2 bedrooms. Yes, only the bedroom was airconditioned, but with the sea breeze and the ceiling fans we were quite comfortable.

Now to the diving. Small boats in need of servicing? Excuse me? With all the dive spots you have listed, you've had to have been on smaller boats and boats that really rated a negative. Gaz's boats were in great shape and actually fairly comfortable. It was our first time on that size boat and we were a bit apprehensive. Yes, we usually like the big boats when we dive in Cozumel because they have more room to stretch out and they have shade. But still, small? A 28 foot boat is not small. If you've been out on any of the fast boats in Cozumel then you've been on smaller. We were pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they were to dive from.

Andy is the only DM that was there during our stay. My wife and I told him that it had been a while since our last ocean dive and he made sure we were safe and comfortable. He was always close enough to handle an emergency but never in the way. I don't know what your expectations are, but mine were more than met. The only thing I can figure is that either A) you had a different DM, or B) your criteria for a good and safe DM are very different. As far as worrying about gratuities or asking to borrow money, never happened while we were there. Did you perhaps read something into the situation?

The staff. In a word, GREAT! Gaz was not there while we were there. His staff made sure that we had everything we could want or need. Now admittedly, my wife and I are very laid back about things. I work for an airline so we travel alot. You learn not to let things bother you when they don't go exactly as planned (plan a trip to Germany and end up in London), so we may not be as demanding as some. Here's my take. The room was always clean and comfortable. Breakfast wasn't fancy but it was good. If we were in the living area of the condo or hanging out on the beach, the staff would stop by and ask if we needed anything. They treated us like family.

If you had a problem, it should have been taken up with Gaz at that time so things could be fixed. If he couldn't or wouldn't fix the problem, then you have every right to gripe. If you have a legitimate beef then go ahead and give the specifics so that eveyone here can benefit from your experience and get a true read on the place. The one liner complaints just don't have weight.

Ok, this post was longer than I had planned but when I read your comments it really hacked me off.

Mark

There is many “issues” which you were informed of, the detail of my trip to your resort was discussed at length. If you cannot remember even talking with me then you are far more out of touch with your guests than you claim to be. Petra, your trip was free and of course you did not mention the number of other guests that were there. Andy may have taken care of you but made an arse of himself on my visit.

Enough said. I wrote because I am entitled to my opinions and you yours. I would not recommend this trip to any of my friends or family.

If another topic comes up that I feel strongly about I will drop a line be it good or bad.

If you are posting without any clue to your real identity then how can I remember talking to you, I do believe, you also have me confused with John whom was the manager at that time as I was out of the country for half of October last year

You are indeed entitled to your opinion but with regard to Andy he has been a loyal employee for more than 10 years and I have to say during that time I have had next to nothing in complaints about him only RAVE reviews.
If I was to close tommorow Andy would be snapped up instantly as he is considered by operators on the island to be one of the very best DM's on Ambergris Caye.

regards

Gaz

doll_fin_diver:
Even though this might be the first negative comment you've had on Scubaboard in more than 3 years, there are definitely other boards within the last year that have negative comments. I have copied just two from caribbeanmag.com.

Hi guys. I run the site CaribbeanMag.com and ran across this post. For reference here is the direct link to the review quoted by doll_fin_diver.

http://www.caribbeanmag.com/search/reviews/Belize/playablanca/review/311/3/226/

Not to agree or disagree with anyone but I do not consider this to be an outright negative review...rather as Gaz mentioned "constructive criticism".

There are over 500 hotel reviews on my site and I have read thousands of them online, and I can tell you that there are very few properties that have NO negative reviews. Companies strive for perfection and try to provide 100% satisfaction. That being said, in the real world people/employees/companies drop the ball sometimes. A few bad reviews does not mean a company is bad in general. When you see a pattern form of many many many bad reviews then one might start to question the values of a company and how it treats its customers.

There are number of hotels I have stayed at in the Caribbean where I had a wonderful experience. Yet at the same time I can Google that hotel name and find numerous bad reviews...why is that? Mostly from obnoxious posters who do not provide quality feedback anyway. Now I have had some bad experiences as well but I always post the good with the bad. Sometimes I wonder of "the complainers" are ever satisfied with anything - in life! That's not to say all negative reviews are "bad reviews".

My rule of thumb in judging (believability) a negative review is:
1.) The reviewer should post his/her name. Anonymous reviews are a pet peeve of mine - even more so for negative reviews.
2.) The review should cover all aspects of "the trip". Good and bad.
3.) I want to read specific well thought out grievances.
4.) If blame is being tossed about it should be directed in the proper direction. So many times a property is not the "cause" of the problem...travel agents/operators are or even the customer! (However, it's the responsibility of the property to fix the problem.) The reviewer should differentiate between "cause" and "fixability" or lack there of.

Neal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom