dive at sea then drive and stay at 2500ft overnight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Winch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone had any experience with doing a couple shore dives or boat dives and then staying up the mountain at 2500 feet and diving the next day. I have not found much information on this online. I will be staying at a house at 2500 feet and plan to do alot of diving.

Great question! No experience, but don't let that prevent me from commenting! My bottom line is I doubt it is a problem if you are conservative, but let's see what others say. Some points of reference. At sea level air pressure is 14.7 psi and at 2500 ft it is 13.2 psi. The no-fly rules are based on the assumption that a commercial airliner is pressurized to 8000 ft or 10.4 psi. By doing your plan, the pressure differencefrom sea level is equivalent to about a 3.4 ft change in depth and the airplane is like 9.7 ft. After repetetive dives DAN suggests 18 hours of no fly.

So I guess if it were me, I would dive conservatively and take my time getting back up to 2500 feet. In any event, you are probably driving up (and not flying) so it will be gradual and not nearly as sudden as taking off in an airplane, meaning the off-gassing dynamics will be more gradual and I would think less worrisome.

Let's see if others accuse me of being reckless or trying to kill you, which I assure you I am not!

I've done this several times. As an example, I've dove in the Gulf Islands (0 ft ASL) and at Chilliwack Lake (2,050 ft ASL) the same day, staying there overnight (to teach a deep diving program) without difficulty. That said, I don't push the tables and play it cautious. Take care.

We have a few folks in our group that live at 2,500. No prob with diving then going home, but we always use the simple precaution of hanging out at sea level for little bit after the dives. Kick back, have a bite to eat, relax on the beach, and degas for a hour or two before heading up the mountain.

The house I will be staying at in Maui is at 2500 feet. It's a 25 min drive to the north shore beach. So by the time we get done with a second dive get gear packed up figure at least an hour before I would be heading up towards home. But not like I want to spend all afternoon waiting until I can safely go home.

If you use NOAA's air dive tables to find your dive letter group and carry that to the NOAA Ascent To Altitude Tables, you should be able to figure out your rest time (see links below). I dive in Kona frequently and while I've never experienced it, I know a number of people who have gotten the skin bends from ascending to Kealakekua. In all cases, the symptoms resolved when they got back to sea level.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/NoDecoAirTable.pdf
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom