Dive and Surf in Costa Rica...????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, buddy said he'll dive if there's some surfing in the same area.
If we fly into San Jose, where should we head to where we can do both?

We're looking at Nov-Dec unless that's a really bad time to go.
We'd like to visit an area that has some cool places to check out while we're in the country if possible as well.

(Neither one of us has been to Costa Rica before so any tips will be appreciated.)

Nov we're starting to get into summer again, and Dic the weather should be back to what we like to see!!
How far are you willing to travel to GET to the diving shops?

By DEC, surf can be done in Hermosa/Jaco, and you can dive either in the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area, or in Herradura, the shop should be back open. (hermosa hosts surf world cups, and from Herradura, dive sites and islands are from 10min to a couple of hours if you take a trip to Tortuga Island or Caño Island)... this is the Central Pacific region
North Pacific, near tamarindo you get good surfing, and out of ocotal/cocos there's several dive operations that can accommodate your diving needs, either locally or to Bat or Catalina Islands...
On the caribbean side surfing near cocles/punta uva, and diving in punta uva would be an option.

From San Jose to:
Central Pacific (Hermosa/Jaco): about 1.5 to 2 hour drive
North Pacific (tamarindo area): about 4.5 hour drive
Caribbean (cocles/punta uva): about 4.5 hour drive

If you could give me more specific dates and questions (you can send me a private message), I'd be glad to help you out!

Hi Cowdog77,
as r2gasa said, i will open the shop for the first days of december as the diving conditions will be good enough to guarantee fun and safe dives.
Anyway, the best time will be between February and April, as we can almost guarantee you to meet the giant manta rays and ususally the viz is the best then. But december 2009 we made very, very nice dives with whales in December and a excellent viz, so nothing is sure under water.
To get a idea how diving with us may be, check the photos and videos on our page on facebook:
Herradura Divers | Facebook

Well, regarding surfing, Jaco and the 3 miles south Playa Hermosa is certainly one of the best surfing locations in Costa Rica and a place where surfers go, surf, meet and have fun as Jaco and Playa Hermosa is 100% orientated to the surfing community.

There are several ways to come down from San Jose:
- local buses +/- 7$
- minivans +/- 35$ ( best option as they are fast, direct and offer pick-up in most of the Hotels in San Jose)
- driver/taxi +/- 100$
- rental car +/- 50$ per day

Send me e email with the date you would like to come and i may give you a ride from San Jose to Jaco as i am often in San Jose.

See you soon

Chris

Playas del Coco is the place to be! Diving is all year round and there are operators that offer surf trips to Witches rock. we are also only 1 hour form Tamarindo, which is basically where all surfers hang out. If you come a few months later we will be offering trips to witches rock as well as an overnight trip.

If you need more info let us know.

Brenda

......thanks for the responses. I'll do some more research, try to set dates,
and then maybe need more info.

Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom