Ditching Bare HD vulcanized boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MidwestDiver1994

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What I have:
I have a Trilam Bare HD suit. The boots are really heavy duty vulcanized rubber US shoe size 10.

PXL_20201101_150119904.jpg

The Issues (ranked in ascending priority):
1) Size/Volume - My street shoe is a US size 9. The boots are a US size 10. I feel like I have way too much play in the boot. I usually only wear a 4th element sock and or a wool sock with the boot.
2) Excess Bouncy - The boots are pretty rigid and leave a lot of room for air volume when diving. Ankle weights counter this effect but it just feels sloppy to wear like an old pair of irrigation boots.
3) Weight - The boots are very heavy duty. I just do some casual great lakes diving. I am not scaling any rock faces to reach my dive spots. I feel like a lighter option may be more fitting for my use case and be more transportable.

PXL_20201101_150107754.jpg

I am looking to replace the boot with either a neoprene sock and I would like the forum's opinion. I have read through the many threads on this topic. Some are quite old. Product recommendations are also welcome. I think I have talked myself out of another integrated boot unless someone has a really good product recommendation.

Socks + Boot Option ($230):

Bare Neoprene Sock + Bare Force 1 Boot

I figured the Bare sock would be the best fit for a bare suit. But being the first time I have replaced the footwear perhaps I am overthinking this. However, when I called the store they told me even though their website shows it in stock... it isn't....and they can't get anymore. I was looking at the size L to match up with a US shoe size 9. I would appreciate comments on sizing as well. DRIS said they have pinnacle socks at half the price. Are they just as good?
Soft Neoprene Replacement Socks
How about Ursuit?

It just happens to be a coincidence that I like the bare force 1 boots. I like the lacing mechanism over the DUI boots. I am on the fence on size. Do I order my street shoe size of 9 and the shoe is already sized to assume I will have the neoprene sock + wool sock under it? I may have to order both a size 9 and 10, try them on, and send one back.
Force 1 Drysuit Boot

Pros:
1) Rolling up the suit for transport and turning it inside out for maintenance would be much easier with socks
2) I could wear different boots depending on how thick the underlayment is
3) No air will be trapped
4) More form fitting

Cons
1) Cost is higher, I am looking at $100 for socks + $130 for boots
2) The donning time is longer. I have an extra step with the boots. Hoping speed lace is a solution for that.

Boots + Gaiter Option ($200):
An integrated boot is faster to slip into and the cost seems to be a wash.

Integrated Bare Tek Boot $100. However, my size has been hard to find
Bare Gaiters $100

Pros:
1) Won't be able to lose or forget my boots
2) Faster to put on
3) I would get a size 9 this time
4) Overall cost is less

Cons
1) Rolling up the suit for transport and turning it inside out for maintenance would be harder
2) Less flexibility in layering. But if the boot fits well with a pair of wool socks under it I am fine with that.

Questions:
1) Can anyone recommend a good neoprene sock source, make, and model?
2) Sock sizing. I wear a street shoe US9. I assume that is what I lookup on their size chart and the sock is already sized to assume you are wearing something under it. correct?
3) Any horror stories that may cause me to change my product selections? I think I have talked myself out of the integrated turbo sock based on some forum posts in favor of a regular sock + boots.

In case anyone else goes down this same road I wanted to post what my resolution was:

I went with the sock + boots. With COVID the sock stock is low apparently and it drove me to a more expensive sock but in the end I believe to be a higher quality item. I worked with DRIS to get a size Large DUI sock (Stock# 750186) which ran around $200. The Bare Force 1 boot size US size 9 as well.

For glue:
* DRIS dry suit glue (4oz)
* AquaSeal (3/4 oz)
* Finishing Tape - 5mm (T) x 25mm (W) x 4 ft

Apparently the Bare Trilam boots are a bit tricky to remove. So I will attempt to follow up with some pictures if this turns out well.

Back
Top Bottom