Ditchable or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hardly any divers will ever need to make a bouyant ascent (dump weights underwater) and even less likely for a diver using redundant kit and both a BCD and a drysuit, like the OP.

It's far more likely in his case that he (or his buddy) will need to dump them on the surface and if you're in that position it would really suck to get to the surface, not be able to dump your weights and then sink and drown. That happens more often than you might think.

R..

1)the reason I overweight myself is because its needed to do my job. .

I understand what you are saying about being over weighted to work, I do it myself sometimes, But I’m careful about how over weighted I am.

The problem isn’t whether or not you can get to the surface, this is a rare occurrence. The problem is staying on the surface. When your over weighted you ride to low in the water on the surface and this is a train wreck looking for a place to happen.

Personally I put about half my weight in my BC and the other half on a weight belt. It’s easier to carry around , and dumping the weight belt would give plenty of lift to resolve any buoyancy issues.

They are pricey, but have you looked at the DUI product?

DUI - Weight & Trim Systems

The weights are ditchable and they are on suspenders. Don't know how much lead they will hold.

Hardly any divers will ever need to make a bouyant ascent (dump weights underwater) and even less likely for a diver using redundant kit and both a BCD and a drysuit, like the OP.

It's far more likely in his case that he (or his buddy) will need to dump them on the surface and if you're in that position it would really suck to get to the surface, not be able to dump your weights and then sink and drown. That happens more often than you might think.

R..

Cut out and ditch if it's between me or my gear. I might look to the SMB if I had some extra time.

Cut out and ditch if it's between me or my gear. I might look to the SMB if I had some extra time.

Of course you could do that, but I wouldn't want to be in a hurry or under a lot of stress when it happens.

Everyone is free to do what they want, of course, but if it were me I wouldn't want to risk putting myself or my buddy in that position, especially since just sorting it out properly isn't a big project.

R..

Perhaps the question isn't how to ditch the weight but how much of the weight must be ditchable? If you are properly weighted or even a little overweighted you may only need to ditch some of your weight in an emergency or have some of your weight ditched for you when you are being rescued.

if that is the case--and I am only asking here, not suggesting--perhaps the weight harness is fine but some of the weight can be moved to a ditchable location like dedicated weight pockets. Both DiveRite and Halcyon make such things...

That's a lot of what ifs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom