Ditch the 7 ft. hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slaterson19

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I've been using a 7ft. hose for a few months now. I just started my dive master job and am finding that it is becoming a hassle(comes unwrapped from my belt underwater, gets wrapped around the ladder when I am trying to clip a rope to the ladder so the captain can pull it up, gets hung up when i'm trying to tie in the hook to a wreck). I feel that if I was diving a few times a month and did not have the above responsibilities that it would not bother me. But having to dive twice a day for the entire summer is making me think about going back to a normal hose length.

Why not drop back to a 5ft? You have all the benefits of the long hose without the hassle of having to tuck it in somewhere.

Are you using a cannister light or hip pocket? Both can be used to route your hose underneath.

An alternative would be to use a 5ft hose.

Go with the 5 ft. hose. I use a 5 foot as an Instructor and DM. It has all of the advantages of the 7 in a recreational setting without the problems you are experiencing. Unless you are in really dark waters I think a canester light is overkill. A scout on the chest d-ring is enough to look under the ledges and crannies.

Do get a pockets if you dont have them.

Jagfish, I have been diving it for awhile with my eclipse bc

I've been routing under my knife(left side of waist) and have no problems at all. That's not ideal routing for a DS, so I'll be buying a LH holder soon. Coiling the hose and clipping it off hasn't resulted in any snags, so far.

It would take a lot to force me to ditch the LH, especially when acting as a DM or working with students.

Are you having this experience in singles, doubles, or both? With a single tank I find the 7-footer can be too long, especially if you don't have an anchoring point on the right hip as El Orans suggests. I also use a knife mounted in the center of the waist strap for a second anchor, as I believe most BP/wing divers will do.

If you can solve the stowage problems and get your rig cleaned up, you won't be having these entanglement issues and you will really appreciate having the longer hose (5 or 7) the day some clown goes out of air on you.

I like diving with the canister light, especially when I am guiding divers (and particularly less-aware divers.) Anything that helps me get their attention is appreciated, plus I actually like lighting up critters with more than a scout or similar back-up light will allow. I can get good illumination to point things out to other divers without getting so close that I scare things off.

slaterson19:
Jagfish, I have been diving it for awhile with my eclipse bc
Hi
I'm not sure how long you've dove the hose, but perhaps you are still getting used to it at some level. That being said, the 5ft may very well be a good option for you. Personally, I've never liked it. For me, it feels more cumbersome since it doesn't tuck somewhere, though admitted, I may not have dove it enough to get over the "hump".

You may be right that going back to a short hose makes sense with your level of experience and current environment.

As an instructor and dive leader, I've had a few air shares with the long hose and have been grateful for the space. Last fall, an out of air diver came to me from another group with 20 minutes of deco on his computer. I would have hated to have that fellow in my face for 20 minutes with the surge we were having that day. With the long hose, I was able to back off, observe the diver, and go with the flow of the surge.

slaterson19:
Hey,
I've been using a 7ft. hose for a few months now. I just started my dive master job and am finding that it is becoming a hassle(comes unwrapped from my belt underwater, gets wrapped around the ladder when I am trying to clip a rope to the ladder so the captain can pull it up, gets hung up when i'm trying to tie in the hook to a wreck). I feel that if I was diving a few times a month and did not have the above responsibilities that it would not bother me. But having to dive twice a day for the entire summer is making me think about going back to a normal hose length.
I see no question in you post or looking for advice. You have already made up your mind. IMHO the troubles you have just show that you haven't mastered long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom