Disregard Manufacturer warning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swankenstein:
By the way, I've been diving a non-modified Conshelf 14 (which I believe is not environmentally sealed) for over 8 years with no problems.

Diaphragm regs have a much higher tolerance to cold that their piston counterparts (if both unsealed). I would agree with your LDS in that you really don't have anything to worry about but if you want it sealed just walk in and tell them to do it. Be less hesitant. If I were in your shoes I would as I wouldn't want the salt water sitting in the reg long after you get out of the water. Sometimes the open port piston regs can be hard to rinse. As for the "Great lakes horror stories" some are true as the regs do freeze. Don't forget that salt water doesn't freeze at the same temperature that cold water does so you are not in as much danger of this happening.

Hope this helps.

Web Monkey:
Also, before all the nit-pickers jump in, I am aware of the specific heat of water required to cause a phase change from 0 C water to 0 C ice.

Terry

Actually, I believe that is refered to as the latent head of fusion. :geek:

Sorry Terry, I couldn't resist! :D

I was close. Physics was (umm nevermind) years ago. :cool:

Terry

SeanQ:
Actually, I believe that is refered to as the latent head of fusion. :geek:
Sorry Terry, I couldn't resist! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom