Dish washing liquid ok for drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pick up cheap KY on Ebay. You can purchase in bulk at a saving.

yeah, I purchase the vet stuff and refill a small bottle, is about $10/gallon.... I think it's called OB lube, will check bottle when I find I dig it out of storage

I don't know about all this lube talk. I use that stuff with my girlfriend for other things. I guess if I lived on SCUBA Board, I would only use it for my dry suit seals though. I would recommend that you do whatever you want because there has been some great advice on here. My two cents would be to get some of the 70 gram talc bags from Mitchell up in Canada. They are cheap and easy. I have been using them for a while and they work perfectly.

Dry Suit Accessories

Send me a message if you need help ordering or anything else. Either way, you can't really go wrong.

baby powder is almost universally recommended by the kids who make the suits.
The easiest thing is simple baby POWDER!!

I hope you mean TALCUM powder. Baby Powder usually/often contains talc... but it also has other other things in it as well. The other things are not so great for seals - perfumes, anti-caking agents, clays, cornstarch, and various "medications." Sometimes it contains cornstarch and NO talc.

Look for "100% Pure Talc" and avoid anything called "baby powder."

Nope, I mean Johnson & Johnson's baby powder. It's straight scented talc and the easiest thing for my teams and students to replace quickly in bulk when needed. My current set of seals is over three years old, wet regularly, and as good as new. Now you are correct in that I always point out what is in the product and what to look for, but J&J's rocks my world and I don't mind that baby-safe scent :). But then again, use what works for you. After all, diving is supposed to be about the end user or the sport wouldn't stay around.

JOHNSON

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 05:11 PM ----------

Akimbo, that sounds like a pretty awesome trick for quick situations as well where one might deal with hazmat scenarios or a need for improved response times. Neat stuff.

…Akimbo, that sounds like a pretty awesome trick for quick situations as well where one might deal with hazmat scenarios or a need for improved response times...

You can use the same trick for quickly donning neck seals if you use diluted baby shampoo. Sometimes just spraying the diluted soap mixture on the neck seal isn’t enough unless the diver has a short haircut. The wrong soap can burn the eyes. Are you thinking public safety applications?

Absolutely, especially in weird weather when groups are already stressed.

I never really thought of it but a delay due to a torn seal could cost a life in a time critical rescue. That might be an argument in favor of field-changeable Silicon seals? Silicon is also much more chemically resistant to hydrocarbons that Latex. I have seen plenty of Latex seals turn to goo in commercial diving from thin films of fuels or crude floating on the water.

Oh I agree, the only concern related to silicon is the rough manner (being in a hurry or not actually owning the suit) psd guys may choose to handle suits sometimes. Silicon has that nasty habit of tearing just a bit easier than latex which is the traditional reason teams choose to stay with latex.

Back
Top Bottom