Dish washing liquid ok for drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use diluted Dawn dishwashing liquid in a squirt bottle. I've been using it for over a year on latex wrist seals without any problems what-so-ever.

A few years ago, there was a big problem with latex seals, particularly those used by Whites, breaking down and turning to goo without warning. There was no plausible explanation given, but most people suggested it was some kind of contamination, with various sources being suggested. I took a bad neck seal and cut it into squares. I put every potential contaminate I could think of on those squares. Not a single thing caused any noticeable reaction.

Any brand of personal lubricant that is water based and latex safe will work. I have been using Astroglide, cheapest I could find, for 2 years on my wrist seals. Smear a little on the inside of the seal when puting on and on the back and side of the hand when doffing. Seals slide right on and off.

Any brand of personal lubricant that is water based and latex safe will work. I have been using Astroglide, cheapest I could find, for 2 years on my wrist seals. Smear a little on the inside of the seal when puting on and on the back and side of the hand when doffing. Seals slide right on and off.

Though K-Y was a client of mine for some time... I've always used the store-brand knock off.

The Walmart 4oz tube is $1.79. K-Y = $4.99. AstroGlide = $3.99

k2-_9dd399f9-84f0-4b27-b54f-3d3db0a75d26.v1.jpg

The easiest thing is simple baby POWDER!! Keep a travel bottle in your kit, puff some on, and you'll slide right through your seals either way. You get no degradation and no subsequent problems other than you might look like an addict for a minute. Try it, I would avoid all of these lubricants.

can't slide through with baby powder if you have dry seals against wet skin though, works if you're dry, but not wet. Why would you avoid all of the lubricants? They're designed to work with latex and don't bother it, it's basically glycerin and water, washes right off, only take a few drops and allows you to get out of the seals when both the seal and your skin are wet. Super cheap, as well

Because drying my hands is pretty easy :) and baby powder is almost universally recommended by the kids who make the suits. But then again, what do I know? On hundreds of cold weather dives in wet dry suits the baby powder has just been fantastic. I personally like staying dry just inside my seals and not goopy wet. But then again people should do what works best for them, and purchases a proper liquid lubricant.

they do, and I have used baby powder, but if you use the lube properly there is no goopy wet, take a drop run it around the seal and slip right in, goes away as soon as you get in the water, for the way out it just wipes right off, but if you have hair you can't get out of the neck seal with baby powder, that turns to goop, that and it can get quite messy getting everywhere. Been using lube for hundreds of dives as well and have never had an issue.

I've used dilute dishwashing liquid for a very long time. You're right, the seals decay. Every few years I have to replace them. And if you think that wouldn't be the case with KY or something else that costs 10 times what the dish soap does, then you're just buying into the commercialization of the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom