Discuss: Where did ScubaBoard Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech - My best luck with anything of that nature was with the assistance with an oracle based project. It was acutally fueled by the need for getting away from mysql because of problems which occured and the need for a robust database.

Yes - PostgreSQL.

I've used it (starting several years ago) for mission-critical RDBMS support. It HAS transactions (real ones) and referential integrity, and is considered a "mainstream" product that is under the open source (BSD license) model.

In fact, I wrote my former ISP's billing, authentication, user logging and other "subscriber data" systems around it using a custom character-interface model, all from "C".

It is my personal preference for an RDBMS when you simply can't afford to have things go "boom." We had over 30GB of online data in the system (we kept literally every single session log - I could tell you when you were on, how many bytes you transferred, from what phone number you dialed (from the ANI), etc - going back to the inception of the company.) It survived several hardware failures over a number of years without ANY data corruption.
In the last couple of years online replication has become available which makes it even nicer for enterprise applications; its the "base" upon which the AKCS package will run, if I ever get it done :D

All the "common" tool interfaces are there for it as well - I know PHP is supported, and I think Python, Perl and a few others are as well, along with a "C" and C++ interface. I'm very familiar with the "C" interface; its bomb-proof.

I've got several "major" applications running on it now, from a boat listing database (kinda like Yachtworld, but as a project I'm working on) to a political advocacy fax-server system (matches web petitions to reps and senators, and generates faxes, etc), to the AKCS project, along with a number of others.

I have never (in over six years of use) had it go out from under me. Not once. That's quite an accomplishment, as I tend to hammer the bejeezus out of the products I use.

You don't even want to get me started on commercial products like Oracle and Sybase...... what I have to say about most of them is not fit for polite company.

The problem with most packages like vB is that they depend on some of the "quirks" in the implementations of their base technology to work, which is why they don't specify "Any SQL database with PHP front end", but rather get quite a bit more specific......

(I'm not a PHP, Perl, or other similar "tool" fan either. Too many problems going that route. IMHO those tools encourage bad design by shortcutting the design process that should go into a product, and the overhead is unnecessary. I write nearly everything that I do in "C" and have for many years..... before that, most of my work was in some version of assembler!)

Now you're talking Genisis!!!
I have only dreamt that all the programs I use to be written in C!!! Not a big fan of all the MS bloatware but I gotta use it for work... DOH!

I was actually gonna suggest using Oracle for Linux - although I have tried several times with very little success as the Linux port requires very VERY specific versions of certain libriaries... not fun, especially if you have a newer version of Linux. Thats been my experience with it and I haven't tried again in quite a while.

Genesis - I haven't heard of or had experience with PostgreSQL, but I'm not to old to learn something new (to me) or different - thanks for the insight about the product. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom