Discovery sharkweek crazyness, riding sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am watching a group of divers/photographers swim outside cages with great whites on the discovery channel. This crazy guy decides he is going to grab the fin and go for a ride on a great white. He does it and the shark just kind of swims away. I just want to know if any of you guys are as crazy as this guy and would try this. You would have to be about as crazy as me because I would LOVE to do something like that!!

The best part was the show after it. They made such a huge deal about free swimming with large sharks and especially great whites, then the next hour was all of a dude in a small inflatable boat, free diving by his damn self, no cage anywhere, with tiger sharks and riding them all over the place. Then he goes and free dives with great whites like its nothin. Made the others look a little silly. And even funnier still was the hour after that (yea I was glued to the tv a bit last night) They had a show about shark attacks from tigers and whites after the last two shows they spent talkin about how "misunderstood these gentle giants are." Then you go and talk about how "aggressive and dangerous" they are and show a bunch of people gettin thier legs and arms bit off. Still gotta have some serious stones on you to try a stunt like that. I get nervous just thinkin about diving around sharks. Too many scary moments from surfing. Oh, and just judging from the shark attack show, it shows that being an abalone (sp?) diver is the best way to get bit by a great white.

BeachJunkie:
The best part was the show after it. They made such a huge deal about free swimming with large sharks and especially great whites, then the next hour was all of a dude in a small inflatable boat, free diving by his damn self, no cage anywhere, with tiger sharks and riding them all over the place. Then he goes and free dives with great whites like its nothin. Made the others look a little silly. And even funnier still was the hour after that (yea I was glued to the tv a bit last night) They had a show about shark attacks from tigers and whites after the last two shows they spent talkin about how "misunderstood these gentle giants are." Then you go and talk about how "aggressive and dangerous" they are and show a bunch of people gettin thier legs and arms bit off. Still gotta have some serious stones on you to try a stunt like that. I get nervous just thinkin about diving around sharks. Too many scary moments from surfing. Oh, and just judging from the shark attack show, it shows that being an abalone (sp?) diver is the best way to get bit by a great white.

Very good summation :popcorn:

I enjoy watching the shows that Discovery has brought us and their efforts to "de-villianize" sharks, but we are taught to not "harass" sea life and observe only, so I was a little disappointed that they highlighted "riding" sharks.

i wonder how long it will be until they offer the first cageless dives with great whites to the money wielding enthusiast? shark encounters have come a long way. now that there is a mini industry around diving with tigers great whites should not be too far off. it's probably relatively safe if you get divers below the sharks instead of on top. you coluld lower them in a cage to the bottom and then have the divers watch the sharks from the bottom and outside the cage. they always seem to attack from below.

That dude freediving with the tiger sharks has some serious cojones :coffee:

Cheers.

-J.-

I friggin' love Shark Week.

why does discovery put on all these shark attack shows to whip people into a hysterical anti-shark frenzy?
then they show people riding sharks?
***?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom