Discover Scuba for Webelos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stever2002

Contributor
Reaction score
I lead a den of Webelos (10-11 year olds). I have shown videos of me diving in various places and they are always interested. My LDS says they will show a couple of videos and work with the boys in the pool for a bit. Is the best way to introduce the boys to scuba? Is a program like this age appropriate for 10/11 year olds? Any suggestions and/or pointers welcome.

...steve...

Discover SCUBA is a great way to introduce the boys to SCUBA. I don't know what the BSA requirements are on taking the boys into the water are so you may want to check into that.

There is a small "yes or no" medical questionnaire on some of the paperwork that the boys will need to fill out. I would get this form to the parents before the date of the program. If any of the boys are able to answer "yes" than they would need clearance from their doctor to get into the water. This would give the parents enough time to get the necessary form signed so that all boys interested can participate.

Hi Steve,

As far as PADI is concerned kids 10 - 11yrs are qualified to take part in the bubblesmakers program, SEALS program and also can qualify as junior open water divers. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but BSA doesn't aggree. As far as the BSA guidelines go, SCUBA (in any form) is only permitted for older boys such as varsity and venture. You can find the age guidelines at http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/ageguides.pdf

Its a shame as these little guys would love it. Maybe consider introducing your son and some of his friends to one of the above programs outside the structure of the boy scouts. GL and dont lose heart, you'll find a way!!

Jay

I wholeheartedly recommend Bubblemakers/DSD for this age group. We just had a gathering of "8 year olds and up who happened to know each other through Cub Scouts" :wink: at our local Sport Chalet under the full auspices of the PADI and Sport Chalet-endorsed and -insured program. They had a blast! 8 YOA is minimum for Bubblemakers. A couple of things that made our group of 7 kids go very smoothly:
1) We recruited a class of recent DM graduates and soon-to-be graduating DMs overseen by an instructor. We had almost a 1:1 ratio, adult to kid. The DMs had as much fun as the kids.
2) Go slow. The big concerns for this group are basic swimming, mask flooding, and most importantly, equalization. Again, go slow, and build up to it.
3) Parents stayed the whole time, sitting on the pool deck. At first, I think their motive was understandably protective, but then they saw how much fun the kids were having and it was a real eye-opener of a fun new thing Mom and/or Dad can do with their kids. Be up front with them telling them everything to expect and discuss it before hand to get their buyin and get their questions answered.
4) "Toypedos" were a big hit. Something to do while underwater and everykid likes to play catch. This is just the underwater version...and it helps to relax them to boot.

Have fun, good luck, and go for it! PM me if you have any further q's.

Cheers!

stever2002:
I lead a den of Webelos (10-11 year olds). I have shown videos of me diving in various places and they are always interested. My LDS says they will show a couple of videos and work with the boys in the pool for a bit. Is the best way to introduce the boys to scuba? Is a program like this age appropriate for 10/11 year olds? Any suggestions and/or pointers welcome.

...steve...

From the BSA safety guidelines:

Scuba Policy

scuba.jpg

Any person possessing, displaying, or using scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) in connection with any Scouting-related activity must either be currently certified by, or enrolled in a training course authorized by the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI), the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), or Scuba Schools International (SSI). These agencies are recognized by the Boy Scouts of America for scuba training and instruction. Alternatively, if PADI, NAUI, or SSI training and instruction is not available, certification may be accepted from other agencies that comply with Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC) guidelines, provided that such acceptance has been expressly approved by the BSA local council in consultation with the BSA national Health and Safety Service.
Cub Scouts

Youth members in Cub Scouting are not authorized to use scuba in any activity.
Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts

The use of scuba is not authorized for a BSA unit, except so that registered Boy Scout youth and leaders may participate in the Scuba BSA program conducted by a certified dive instructor in compliance with this policy. Scuba BSA is not a diver certification program.
Scuba training programs may be a part of troop/team activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted. Scouts with a junior diver certification may dive only when accompanied by a buddy who is a certified open-water diver at least 18 years old.
Venturers

Scuba programs may be a part of Venturing activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted.

My first introduction to diving was when my boy scout troop went to Mass Maritime Academy and participated in discover scuba. We even got to try out DPVs!

I think it would be great, but I suppose you have to adhere to the guidelines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom