Disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A bit disappointed by the dive shop in Koh Tao. No name is necessary. First, you are really stand alone on the boat. You chose whatever tank you want and pick your weight and belt. It should not be a problem for advanced divers but I had to help two of them without action from the staff. One did not know how to fit a yoke adaptor to her DIN reg and worse another had the cylinder sliding down twice in a row before the giant stride. He was Advanced OW but maybe accustomed to boats where the staff set everything up. However, my biggest disappointment is about my wife Nitrox certification. She just watched a video and had a chat with the instructor. Of course, there is the online course and the online exam but she was not shown how to use the analyzer. I was pissed off when she came back to the hotel. I wanted to go back to the DS and then I decided that I would show her. Part of the training course is that one should never leave anybody check the EAN gas. Not even the DM or the instructor. How can you do that if you don’t know how to do it?

You have mentioned the name of the operator that you were going to dive with. The same one?

It is not your responsibility to take care of other divers especially on equipment. Liability.
Not demonstrating on how to use analyser is irresponsible. How long would that take? He/she couldn't even spare a few minutes!!!! Pathetic.
Ask for refund and change shop.

A bit disappointed by the dive shop in Koh Tao.
Although nothing you mentioned as being a problem is acceptable, none of it is surprising, either. It's Thailand.

I first dove here in 1989 and have been living and diving here since 2005. I've gotten used to the widespread laxity and understand that I'm going to need to take care of myself. If you choose carefully you can find both boats and shops the standards of which are higher than generally found throughout Thailand.

A recent example of something that shocked me: Last month I was on a live aboard trip to Losin. One of the other divers was a AOW student. Her buoyancy was terrible and she ran out of air (needing an octopus) on many dives. Somehow she passed her OW course and was accepted as an AOW candidate. All I can say is: Amazing Thailand

If you want a regimented, by-the-rules experience then this is not the place to dive unless you take the time to find dive shops and operations that meet your standards.

Not sure why anyone would want a babysitter, and for those that need one it seems it would be a self correcting problem. Regarding the divers who cannot/will not take care of themselves, never ever touch their gear. If they truly appear to be a hazard to themselves inform the boat crew.

^
Me as well!
I was using their equipment except computer, mask and wet suit.
No checked bag.

Back
Top Bottom