Disappointed in LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that a rushy headspace and scuba are not compatible at all. For most of us this is a leisure activity. Personally, I find that the more relaxed and comfortable I am, the better I perform and enjoy a dive. Being rushed neither relaxes me nor makes me comfortable -- and when that happens my performance suffers.

I believe that this is specially true when you are beginning to learn scuba. My wife was also shy and timid when we were getting certified. She's not a very high risk taker, nor very adventurous or outdoorsy. Even though we didn't have as many students as your wife did, she did tell me she was not comfortable with her proficiency at some skills. She had gone through the class, done the time and apparently was ready to go out to the open water dives. We took some time to go to the pool, just the two of us, and practice the skills at her own pace, without any pressuring of any type, and until she felt confident. I gave her tips and coached her, and tried my best to project a zero pressure attitude at all times (sometimes hard for a husband :wink:). By the time we got to the open water dives, she just coasted through all the skills with no problem and no need for repeating or reinforcement.

Instruction quality will vary from place to place. That doesn't mean you have to conform to low standards. If you can, just invest the time to practice on your own in a pool at your pace and without pressure. PADI OW skills are not super difficult. You already went through it successfully. So many things improve by just putting in time under water -- even if it's in the shallow end of the pool. That's why many people consider that someone with 500 dives under his belt but only one certification card is probably a better diver than somebody with 50 dives and 15 certification/specialty cards.

tried my best to project a zero pressure attitude at all times (sometimes hard for a husband :wink:).

I am entering this for an understatement of the year award :)

You didn't ask for advice, but I'd consider hiring an instructor to do some skills development with her or see if a refresher course would do that. Since she is just now deciding to get on board with you, I presume she wasn't chomping to dive all along. Given the probable not quite clamoring to dive, it seems to me that wondering if your skills aren't up to it risks spoiling the experience, at best. And it means something to check out with an instructor. A lot more validating than your husband saying you seem to be doing it okay. Very little more cost, considering the goal.

I know a substantial part of my wife's confidence was extra time put in by the instructor. She has a disability that's not a big one, except that it happens to make her stay in one spot when trying to fin only. The instructor put in additional one-on-one to work out an accommodation for a critical skill. I think that made her feel worth his time and therefore reasonably skilled.

By the way, the classroom was ten students to an instructor, with DM helping in class, and six students plus instructor and DM in open water. I can't imagine taking time to show shark films or tell too many war stories. It was standard schedule time, and without doing good study on your own, as directed, it wouldn't have been adequate.

When I certified, it was a big class. I didn't know it then, but it was far from the best way to learn. I feel it also retarded my progress after certification.

BTW, I hired a DM because I didn't want to keep repeating mistakes until I finally got it right. I highly recommend it.

Just a follow up. I spoke to the store in question. They listened to my comments and we agreed that they would provide at least a couple more pool sessions on a week night at a much more relaxed pace. I am not sure if I will continue to use them after these sessions, we will see what happens after a couple of weeks and the next sessions. I appreciate the effort in resolving the situation. They did comment that they do often run classes of this size though.

Thanks for all of the reply's.

It's really not much more for a private class. Small cost to pay to have a dive buddy for life!

Might be scary using the same LDS, but they would like to remedy our concerns. The pool sessions will be private or semi private so they really provide the time for her to complete the class. They also invited me along. I believe we should allow them a chance to make us happy customers. Its not like they said "take a hike" when I called. I still reserve judgment until we are done. Once the situation is resolved either way, I will post the name of the shop.

My pool session cert. in Edmonton had 10 people in it. When we go to the pool, 2 instructors and 3 dms. I was quite happy with the time in the water with them.
I just put my wife through the SDI OW course with The Dive Outfitters in Edmonton. I like their approach. Not that I did not like the outfit I certificated with, I just wanted her to get taught a bit of dive computer work.
She told me there was 8 in the class. 2 instructors in the water. She felt very comfortable with the system they used. They had time for her. I took her on a shore dive in Cozumel to set the hook for learning. So she was not so nervous.
She was also shown a film after the class was presented, it was on the things you see on a coral reef. My wife said it was the same as what I've showed, go figure. lol. In other words tame vid.
She just told me she wants to do what I do/did, get back in the pool right away to hone the skills and has asked me to help there. I am proud to do that. I feel very fortunate that she liked the teaching, that everything I told her to look for was presented and that not to feel embarrassed to ask tons of questions, get your moneys worth.
It's not easy for a tiny woman to do this, I think(?). The size of the tank was intimidating and so was issue with mask clearing, but she pulled it off well. I am very proud of her.
I hope your wife feels as good as mine for having done the course. I hope your wife feels confident too as a diver, I am sure with your help your going to have a great dive buddy too! As my wife, Debbie, said on the phone to me this morning before I did my dive out on Vancouver Island; 'honey I'm a diber now"-I could feel her smile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom