DIR training? Classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Perrone, solo diving is a bad four letter word in the DIR world.

Keep in mind, a lot of divers who experimented with solo diving when newbies are now DIR team divers... Its probably a better approach to let the newbies take DIRF and figure out for themselves what kind of diver they're going to grow up to be, without pointing a gun at their head and making them choose between solo diving and DIR.

Keep in mind, a lot of divers who experimented with solo diving when newbies are now DIR team divers... Its probably a better approach to let the newbies take DIRF and figure out for themselves what kind of diver they're going to grow up to be, without pointing a gun at their head and making them choose between solo diving and DIR.

Wise words, my friend ... people who make informed choices usually make the best choices ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. How much can I expect a local GUE-F class to run?

I just ordered the Fundamentals of better diving from the site and plan on reading it first. I am also expecting it to be a GREAT book considering they charged my card twice for it. :D

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. How much can I expect a local GUE-F class to run?

Prices are set by the individual instructors, whatever they feel their time is worth and what their market (which can be pseudo-global) will bear. For a local instructor $600 for a weekend GUE-F class without alot of extra time/dives is a rough guide. DIR-MX offers GUE-F as a 5 day class with lots of extra dives to integrate the skills into both the OW and cavern environments. Currently that GUE-F class is about $1500 USD. Its best to contact other local GUE divers in your area and checkout the website for the instructor list and contact them. Between those 2 resources you should be able to figure out what you need and how to make it happen cost-wise.

Here are some GUE divers not far from you: http://www.baue.org/index.php
There are more in Sacremento, but they don't have a website.

I think Perrone had some nice thoughts. It is definitely taboo to speak of Solo diving among DIR types, but then again, it's also taboo amongst PADI types. I know of at least a couple GUE trained individuals who dive solo, myself included, and the classes GUE teaches are just knowledge and skills. They can serve your purpose no matter how you choose to dive outside the class.

Tom
PS, I paid $550 for Fundies.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom