Dir Reg I.p

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
mods please move this if you feel it belongs in the reg section
I have a TX100 and a ATX50 right now, havent decided which will be primary and backup on my single rig (any recommendations), however, should I detune the backup or will the cracking dial on the reg be enough to stop potential freeflow, watching DIR vids/reading i always see remarks stating that they lower the ip of the backup to prevent freeflow, but never state what they set the I.P at, any advice will be most helpful on my quest to get comfortable with dir config/setup with my gear before taking fundies.

IP is set at the first stage, not the second. Unless you dive in pretty cold water, I don't think you're gonna have too much of an issue.

i guess i was on 2 trains of thought with my post, i meant is ther a standard i.p or should i just use the cracking dial? ill be diving in new england, year round

I've heard some tune their IP to around 120-125 to avoid problems. Of course was with the old non-adjustable second stages.

The user adjustment should give you all the control you nedd to prevent freeflows. While you should not be able to stop gas delivery with that adjustment, you should be able to make it uncofortably difficult to breath with it cranked all the way in.

IP should be 120-125ish.

FWIW I've never seen an instructor check student's IP during a DIRF. They are much more concerned with trim, control, awareness, etc.

PerroneFord:
I've heard some tune their IP to around 120-125 to avoid problems. Of course was with the old non-adjustable second stages.

This is the correct IP but is difficult to achieve on some regs. The reason to detune the IP is so that you can leave the regs breathable and not have to screw with the adjustment knobs when swimming or further reduce the risk of freeflow by detuning with the knobs. This is a much bigger deal once you start scootering since the prop wash can hit the clipped off primary when you are on a stage fairly easily, and, in tight sections, the backup.

Thanks RTodd. I don't get to ride the DPV quite yet. Hopefully in a month or two. I'm sure it wil open up a whole NEW can of worms. Next month's challenge is learning drysuit diving! Whooo! LOL!

I keep my regs at the low end of the manufacturers recommendations. They know better than I do what the optimal conditions are for the reg. When scootering, I turn the adjustment knob in a little bit and turn my backup so it is facing outwards.

Soggy:
I keep my regs at the low end of the manufacturers recommendations. They know better than I do what the optimal conditions are for the reg. When scootering, I turn the adjustment knob in a little bit and turn my backup so it is facing outwards.

Manufacturers set the IP too high so it will blow your teeth through the back of your head in the dive store and seem like a high performance reg. This does not add any actual real world performance and negatively affects reliability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom