DIR Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, look. Daily I am eating my words. Every time I get into the water and go through all of the aggravation of setting up gear and all, and then trying to figure a better, simpler way, I end up with a rig that is perfectly DIR. It's really beginning to tick me off. :D

It started with the mask. I had a clear silicone one, and used simiar masks for years. Unfortunately, the more I got into scuba diving instead of snorkeling or freediving, the more that the "bubbles in my periferal" and "ghosting reflections on the glass" began to bother me. I bought an all black ScubaPro Fino. Love it. But it was all downhill from there.

EXACTLY as was predicted, the more my skills grow underwater, the less I value the features that were so important to me before (I don't even use pull dumps on those BC's that DO have them... It's just a habit thing. It's also reassuring to FEEL the air coming out of the BC...) And the the more my skills grow underwater, the more I value the exact same thing that DIR is teaching. I am certain that I am being assimilated.

I may have a saving grace, though... I will not ditch my BFK. I like my pigsticker. Sure, it's rediculous, but it's great to use as a little mini anchor in high current, zero-vis dives with a muddy bottom. It also makes a cool clanking sound when I walk topside. :D Oh yeah, and my girlfriend says it's sexy. :D Little kids think I'm Captain Hook. :D

I also hate weight belts. I wear them for my classes to get them on and off easily, but I hate them with a passion. I could go into this, but it'd just start a flame war, and I'm not interested in that.

Oh, and I still want a computer. See, I think it boils down to the kind of diving I'm doing. Anyway, more on that another time.

My question is this... I'm really beginning to hate the bigass loop that a short reg hose makes over the right shoulder of a diver. Do you know how much it sucks to get a 5' nurse shark caught in there? No kidding... I'm feeding at the Aquarium today, and this nurse come up from behind me and wants his share. Unfortunately, he felt that it was best to get to my feed bucket through the loop in my primary. Problem would not have been there if I'd been wearing a longer hose, wrapped up nice and close to my body, DIR style.

But I have no need for a canister light in that Aquarium. What's the DIR protocol in this situation? How do I keep a long hose secured properly at my waist with no canister there? DIRIII with George suggested a 5' hose wrapped under the right armpit, with no canister light... What do y'all do?

Oh, and if you're wondering what I did about the shark... I spit out my reg, placed my hand firmly on top of his head, and pushed him away. He obviously came back, but at least he was clear. I did a sweep and replaced my reg while an audience stood, dumbfounded, about how I'd just escaped death by simultaneous shark attack and drowning. :D

Land people are funny.

But I have no need for a canister light in that Aquarium. What's the DIR protocol in this situation? How do I keep a long hose secured properly at my waist with no canister there? DIRIII with George suggested a 5' hose wrapped under the right armpit, with no canister light... What do y'all do?
7 footer routed DIR style with the extra that would normally be under the light tucked into the waist band/webbing.

the last several dives Shane and I have done have been without our lights... (they should be back this week from Halcyon with the brand new lightheads :D)... and we have done just what o-ring suggests... but rather than putz around tucking a loop of light cord into my tightened waist band... I insert the extra loop under the waist band just before I buckle it up and pull it tight.

If you use a 5' hose, you likely won't have much slack to worry about. I use a 5 footer and it works fine -- I have anough hose to be comfortable and there is no slack flapping around...many folks say they find a 5-footer too short. A longer hose is handled as described by UP and O-Ring above.

You didn't say if you wear a BP/Wings or not, but I'm inferring that you do from your post. If that's the case:

You can also slide your knife sheath over on your harness to where the light canister would be, and run the 7' hose under that. It's not exactly DIR, as your knife is no longer on the front of your body, but it works.

You can also put a pocket in the same location and route the hose the same way as above, but it sounds like you're running an integrated setup from your opinion on weight-belts, so you may end up tucking in the hose anyway.

Matt

SeaJay once bubbled...
Okay, look. Daily I am eating my words. Every time I get into the water and go through all of the aggravation of setting up gear and all, and then trying to figure a better, simpler way, I end up with a rig that is perfectly DIR. It's really beginning to tick me off. :D

I love it!

The harder you fight it, the easier it comes....

SeaJay once bubbled...

I also hate weight belts. I wear them for my classes to get them on and off easily, but I hate them with a passion. I could go into this, but it'd just start a flame war, and I'm not interested in that.

Oh, and I still want a computer. See, I think it boils down to the kind of diving I'm doing. Anyway, more on that another time.

My question is this... I'm really beginning to hate the bigass loop that a short reg hose makes over the right shoulder of a diver. Do you know how much it sucks to get a 5' nurse shark caught in there? No kidding... I'm feeding at the Aquarium today, and this nurse come up from behind me and wants his share. Unfortunately, he felt that it was best to get to my feed bucket through the loop in my primary. Problem would not have been there if I'd been wearing a longer hose, wrapped up nice and close to my body, DIR style.

This is great. You're diving sounds very similar to mine. Big Knife, computer, and I *hate* weight-belts. I'm apparently one of the few people that still use their ACB system from Halcyon since they work better for me than weight-belts.

In any case, after my DIR-F course, my instructor recommended a 6' hose after the 5' hose was a bit too-short. I have no canister light, and I find that the 6' works great for me (5'11"). I don't do any stuffing into my waistband, and it still tucks nicely.

My wife dives a 5' hose, but she is quite a bit shorter (5'4"), and hence the shorter hose doesn't pull as much. Oh, her hose is an OMS hose, and it's not *nearly* as nice as the Halcyon 6' hose I bought from 5thD. The OMS is much thicker, and as such doesn't bend nearly as nice. Next time I get to Seattle I plan on replacing my wife's with a Halcyon 5' hose.

I'm pleased with my 6' hose, although I think a 7' hose would work as well, although I'd have to stuff it into my belt. If/when I get a canister light I'll upgrade to a 7' hose, but for now the 6' works great for me. The 5' was just a bit too short for me.

Nate

If you're up for spending the money for one, Halcyon makes a webbing-mounted pocket with an internal plastic backing that would go where the canister light goes.

Now, I've heard various things about them. My DIR-F instructors (Sweedin and Moon) had no problem with it, and accepted it as a solution to the non-ideal situation of not owning a wetsuit (to sew pockets on), and not owning/needing a light. Conversely, I've read gripes about the non-DIRness (NOT from GI, mind you) about them on Quest.

The consensus seems to be that the newer pockets with the velcro instead of zipper fastening, are about the least-strokery way to go if you aren't just going to stuff the hose in along the side, and sew a pocket on your suit.

Hmm, I unfortunately can't find the link on the halcyon site, and I ended up calling Extreme Exposure to see if they had one. If you don't have the $70-something to drop (noone makes an equivalent that would work without modification - that I've seen) and/or don't need the pocket, just stuffing the extra from the 7 foot hose between your body and the waist webbing should be sufficient.

Or, you can buy me a light and I'll send you mine... :wink:

jeff

Well,
Through my BP to BC and back to BP/Wings fiasco, I found the same to be true as well. The more I tried to justify my 'tech' BC, the more it became cumbersome when I tried to rig a pony (don't use that anymore either) as a deco bottle on my side. I found that all the cool looking D-rings on my BC were not reachable, and, neither were the big roomy zippered pockets. With the cold water wetsuit donned, I could never reach them!

Anyway, I don't dive a light and had tried both a 5 ft and 6 ft hose. I found the 5 footer pulled a little around my neck, but the 6 footer was perfect. Neither hose ever snagged on anything nor floated up or moved on me. In fact, the long hose was the one thing that sold me on the DIR idea totally...even as a newbie that I am just made sense for lots of reasons.

I'm not sure I'll be 100% DIR, maybe...we'll see.

PS What’s DIR's stance on dive computers?

Back
Top Bottom